Insuring 16yr old driver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never understood why kids couldn't study AND work, rather why it's one or the other for parents. I did both.... I had to. Life is going to be rough if you think that just getting good grades will get you things. Just sayin.
At one time is was quite normal for a someone in high school to attend school AND work, however, kids these days have so much more to learn than we did which mean longer school hours and more time spent with homework (i.e. less time available for work hours). Granted, a lot of those school courses could be dumped as they are little more than 'feel good' worthless subjects IMO.

Another factor worth considering is that many employers are no longer willing to give kids a chance at entry level jobs, nor are employment laws as lenient as they use to be AND so many more parents want to shower their offspring with all the things that they didn't have as a youngster - forget about the idea of having to work for anything :rant: :sorry4:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When your kids have to work to get good grades, that's work. Universities are damned competitive these days. If your kid is working and getting C grades, getting into College aint gonna happen. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't work, but if your kid cant work and maintain good grades, well then I guess you have to pick what life lesson you want them to get.

Yeah, so I guess that just doesn't fly with me. I worked all the way through college, generally full time.... and I was never good at conventional testing. Oh well.... to each their own. Just never understood the one or the other. If I wanted to drive..... I worked.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At one time is was quite normal for a someone in high school to attend school AND work, however, kids these days have so much more to learn than we did which mean longer school hours and more time spent with homework (i.e. less time available for work hours). Granted, a lot of those school courses could be dumped as they are little more than 'feel good' worthless subjects IMO.

Another factor worth considering is that many employers are no longer willing to give kids a chance at entry level jobs, nor are employment laws as lenient as they use to be AND so many more parents want to shower their offspring with all the things that they didn't have as a youngster - forget about the idea of having to work for anything :rant: :sorry4:

Makes you wonder how kids overseas with a decidedly harder curriculum go to school and work eh?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use AAA for our Home and Auto policy. We have a 14 year old son. I was asking our person at AAA about how my son's insurance will work and costs. From what i gathered, since we have two cars that are fairly nice he would have to be "assigned" to one of them. Being nice vehicles and both 4x4 with all the bells and whistles his rates/premiums will be based off said vehicle. I then asked what if we bought him a $500 beater car to drive; could he be assigned to that one. Or what if we bought him a small moped and be assigned to it and his premium based of that. They said that would be acceptable, thus lowering his premium significantly. If we go this route we would them by him a reliable truck that would be good enough to get him through high school and college.

I get what some are saying about working during school but they are in school to get good grades and prep for college. He is also required by us to have an after school sport or activity. A legit activity or sport. He is also very young for his grade and around here it can be difficult to get a decent job that fits his schedule if you are not pushing 18 years old. He is a great kid with a level head on his shoulders and if he continues to try hard in school and get good grades I have no problem paying for a lot of his "things".

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies that have to do with the original question. As far as working and going to school, he works on the weekends and pays for all his gas and "running" money. He is very active in activities after school so I've told him I would cover his insurance as long as he keeps his grades up and stay active. He drives an '97 Toyota so it's not like we put him in a '17 Camaro. Farmers told us that since he lives in the household he must be on every vehicle he has access to.This didn't sound right so that's when I made original post.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use AAA for our Home and Auto policy. We have a 14 year old son. I was asking our person at AAA about how my son's insurance will work and costs. From what i gathered, since we have two cars that are fairly nice he would have to be "assigned" to one of them. Being nice vehicles and both 4x4 with all the bells and whistles his rates/premiums will be based off said vehicle. I then asked what if we bought him a $500 beater car to drive; could he be assigned to that one. Or what if we bought him a small moped and be assigned to it and his premium based of that. They said that would be acceptable, thus lowering his premium significantly. If we go this route we would them by him a reliable truck that would be good enough to get him through high school and college.

I'd have them run the actual numbers before you make a decision and buy something.

We have a '13 V8 full size 4dr pickup, a '14 loaded full size SUV and an '05 V6 Mustang. The '14 SUV ended up being the cheaper rate for him. Blew my mind.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Someone probably knows more about this that me. So, what if you didn't list your kid on a car? Are there legalities to be dealt with?
I know it's an open ended question but I always wondered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom