Is anybody concerned about the trees budding early?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid it wasnt nothing to have a foot of snow on the ground at xmas and stay for a couple of weeks but as time went it got later and later til now if we get a couple of inches it is usually around the end of January or first of February and dont last more than a day on average there is always a exception now and then. But im in the SE part and knows the northern part it is different.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My peach (red haven) is starting to bud, but peaches can take some freeze after bloom. My arctic fantasy nectarines held leaves till the December freeze, then buffer out again right after?

I recommend looking at OSU's data on fruit trees.
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/home-fruit-planting-guide.html
Also selecting by fruiting time can help with selecting late blooming varieties that are less likely to be caught by freeze.

Also plant at.least.2 varieties for better harvest, even self fertile trees like peaches will benefit from a pollinator.

Last edited:

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to plant anymore you might check out these guys.

https://www.treesofantiquity.com/
Marketing, hereloom refers to being open pollinated, fruit trees are grafted and are clones true to strain.

They do have some cool stuff, however trees aclimate to the climate they are grown in and this nursery is in the central coast of California in perhaps the best growing region in the country. As a general rule trees grown in the north will have increased vigor when moved south. But chill hours are also a factor.

Right now I am experimenting with American and chicksasaw plums, both native to the region (I do wish I had purchased more mature stock.)

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My peach (red haven) is starting to bud, but peaches can take some freeze after bloom. My arctic fantasy nectarines held leaves till the December freeze, then buffer out again right after?

I recommend looking at OSU's data on fruit trees.
https://extension.okstate.edu/fact-sheets/home-fruit-planting-guide.html
Also worrying by fruiting time can help with selecting late blooming varieties that are less likely to be caught by freeze.

Also plant at.least.2 varieties for better harvest, even self fertile trees like peaches will benefit from a pollinator.

Yes on this. OSU is a wealth of free info and help.

The place I bought has a Bee man setting about 15 hives. It has several acres of Black Berries.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many of us older guys will remember that we frequently have had some of our largest 3-6in snow storms around the last two weeks in April. Now if we get a dusting in Jan or Feb it is a disaster. Perceptions of what is "normal" when it skips a few years have changed.
I remember getting a blizzard in Feb 73 and a snowstorm in May 1984.

Latest posts

Top Bottom