Is being an Oklahoma fishing guide a realistic first/second job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's something you really want to do, I'd say 'go for it.' HOWEVER, whatever waters you are going to fish, you need to know like the back of your hand. You should be able to consistently get onto fish wherever you take your clients. If you can't, you're not gonna' last very long. Guides get a LOT of repeat clients, if they are good, and those references mean a ton if you are going to build a business. What they say is true ... it only takes one "Oh, crap!" to wipe out all the "attaboys!"

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
being a fishing guide is not a easy job throwing a big casting net to gather bait and then ride in a boat in rough water all day is rough. But the hardest part of being a guide is taking peoples money after you didn't put them on any fish. Most texhoma guides are charging $125 to $150 person. Four person trip is $500 plus tips, How big is your boat

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No way I'd be a live-bait guide. Sure, you can count on trailer loads of fish most of the time, but that is boring. It's more challenging, but I think people will pay more money to learn how to be successful with artificial bait. I think you have to (a) know the water well, (b) know how to find the fish in any condition, (c) be able to catch them consistently, and (d) be patient with people along with having some teaching and social skills.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally know 3 different fishing guides, that make well over a quarter million $$$ a year, and over 80% of the money are paid in cash!!!

I've thought about being a guide myself but, having to put up with some of those yahoos out there, I don't need the stress or headaches from it...

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most guides in Eastern, OK charge (on average) around $350 for a 6-hr trip. I realize some of them run 2 trips a day, but there are also a lot of days with no clients.
Lets assume that you have a trip schedule 70% of the time - that's 250-days a year. In the trip to the lake, depending on where you live, you have truck fuel and boat fuel, which can easily run $50-$100/day. Most guides provide iced coolers and at least water. Daily expenses are pushing $75/day. Now your looking at $275 net income/day * 250-days = $68,750. But that doesn't include benefits, ins, liability ins. You are also going to put a lot of hours on a boat and miles on a truck so you would need to factor in upkeep and replacement cost for each. While it is mostly a cash business, for the sake of the internet lets say you report it all to the IRS. Self employment taxes are quite steep. There are obviously exceptions to all of this but it seems like a good base from my computer!!

It seems do-able. Especially if you already have most of the equipment and are good at finding and catching fish. Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most guides in Eastern, OK charge (on average) around $350 for a 6-hr trip. I realize some of them run 2 trips a day, but there are also a lot of days with no clients.
Lets assume that you have a trip schedule 70% of the time - that's 250-days a year. In the trip to the lake, depending on where you live, you have truck fuel and boat fuel, which can easily run $50-$100/day. Most guides provide iced coolers and at least water. Daily expenses are pushing $75/day. Now your looking at $275 net income/day * 250-days = $68,750. But that doesn't include benefits, ins, liability ins. You are also going to put a lot of hours on a boat and miles on a truck so you would need to factor in upkeep and replacement cost for each. While it is mostly a cash business, for the sake of the internet lets say you report it all to the IRS. Self employment taxes are quite steep. There are obviously exceptions to all of this but it seems like a good base from my computer!!

It seems do-able. Especially if you already have most of the equipment and are good at finding and catching fish. Good luck!
Tips come in on top of the expenses too. Some tip good for a great day, some don't tip at all no matter what, so don't rely on those.

jhoppis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guiding is a tough job. I have grown up on texoma and guided for 5 years. I quit in June last year there is easier ways to make money, and to be good you need to stick to just a couple of lakes only not traveling lake to lake.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guiding is a tough job. I have grown up on texoma and guided for 5 years. I quit in June last year there is easier ways to make money, and to be good you need to stick to just a couple of lakes only not traveling lake to lake.
Good to hear from you again. Talked to a guy at the OKC backwoods show that knew you last year. He had one of those trolling motor blades that you guys designed on display.

jhoppis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear from you again. Talked to a guy at the OKC backwoods show that knew you last year. He had one of those trolling motor blades that you guys designed on display.
Ya the worked great for awhile until it got out to everyone, and now everyone on the lake has them and the don't work very good anymore down there. We are going to Kaw Tuesday and going to try it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom