Is It “Anti-Faith” To Prepare For The Coming Economic Collapse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever looked into the teachings of the Mormon faith? They advocate strongly a 'prepping' mentality. As a matter of fact, a person interested in prepping could learn a lot from them in that area.

Before I became an apostate I was a pretty good Mormon. Year's supply of everything. They had that self reliance thing figured out. Within the leadership in Salt Lake they even have plans for a monetary system in case of total failure. And a mechanism for replacing the government if need be. Oh, and the place where they store their geneological records among other things, engineered to withstand an atomic blast. Of course they don't say that publicly. Cool stuff.

http://blog.longnow.org/02007/04/09/the-granite-vaults-of-geneology/

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the important point that we often miss, is that God judges intentions, not actions.

If your prepping hobby makes you have less faith or makes you lose focus on God because you are so obsessed with fear or paranoia, he's probably not too happy about it.
If you prep because you want to maximize your capability to follow and serve even if there is a disaster, it's more likely to be approved of.

That was similar to what I was thinking. As long as prepping doesn't replace God and become your religion it isn't any more wrong than having insurance or a storm shelter or taking storm precautions when a tornado approaches. It's no different than buying groceries for a week except you are thinking longer term. We do things all the time to prepare for the future and for certain types of disasters, prepping is only a term for those who are thinking a little further ahead.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Christianity brought some nice art during the renaissance period...
But I wouldn't bet my life on it. I would get prepared if you are worried about a disaster of some sort.
I don't believe you are wrong to want to be on the safe side, but why would anyone else's opinion influence yours? Isn't "faith" a personal thing for religious folk?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice would be to pull what ever reinforces your own existing beliefs from the bible and go with that.

Yeah, that may be the single biggest mistake most people, believers or not, make when dealing with the Bible.

What came before and after, who was talking, who they were talking to, why they were talking to them, who else might be there to hear, even how a single part relates to the entire rest of the Bible, and every other nuance of context and perspective are important and need to be included when someone wants to use something in the Bible to prove a point.

Otherwise it's nothing more than that one individual's opinion.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it "anti faith" to take vitamins for your health, buy health and life insurance, wear sun screen, save for retirement, etc, etc, etc...

This sounds like one of the legalistic topics the pharisees would have posed to Jesus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom