Is It “Anti-Faith” To Prepare For The Coming Economic Collapse?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Dave Ramsey hit the nail on the head when he mentioned this on his radio show the other day. Its okay to prep... as long as you are conducting yourself responsibly financially in other areas. If you are prepping instead of taking care of the basic financial needs of your family, then you have a problem. Otherwise, prep to your heart's content.

"For it is we who must pray for our daily bread, and if He grants it to us, it is only through our labour, our skill and preparation." -- Paracelsus

Yep to both post. You are not prepping if you ignore your daily needs, you are just hoarding.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matthew 6:25-27

New International Version (NIV)
Do Not Worry

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

This says not to worry. It does not say not to prepare.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ultimate prepping is to prepare to meet God. If we have that done nothing else matters as much.

All of the teachings in the bible have to do with how we treat each other. Mostly our families. Prepping is simply taking care of our families needs and if we share our readiness we are helping others and obeying Jesus' second commandment, loving our fellow man.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just like man to question another mans faith. Keep your relationship with God strong, say a prayer for the judgemental person that judged your faith, and smile.

jcoleman106

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I think that just makes you smart and well prepared. I'm pretty sure that God expects us think for ourselves. That's why we were given free will. I think it's good to have faith, but it's idiotic to not take things into your own hands sometimes.

Does being a prepper show a lack of faith in God? Should good Christians reject prepping altogether? Yesterday, someone actually accused me of being "anti-faith" because I am encouraging people to prepare for the coming economic collapse. This person believes that if I had faith, then I would make "no provision" for what is ahead and simply trust "in God's providence alone". So is that person right? Is it really "anti-faith" to prepare for the coming economic collapse?
Continued:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...h-to-prepare-for-the-coming-economic-collapse

explorigin

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hi guys, new lurker here. Just ran across this thread and thought I'd add some that seems to be lacking.

Here's my take:
- Noah wasn't a prepper. He was following God's direct commands. I say he wasn't a prepper because he did not read the times and see bad things coming. Rather God told him what he was going to do and gave him 100 years to build a boat. Unless God has been talking directly to any of you, this is not a parallel example for us today.
- The "man on a roof" parable is not in the Bible so that's not a reliable source of wisdom.
- The "Do not store up for yourselves..." passage was about pride and independence (i.e. unfaithfulness) from God as a heart attitude rather than a set of actions to be avoided. The villain in this story had more than he could ever use and kept it for himself when he could have used it to help others in need.
- The "God helps those who help themselves" is not in the Bible. It's also selfish. Rather the Bible teaches that if you obey God, he will provide for all your needs.
- OKMinuteman hit the nail on the head with the story of Joseph
- Matthew 6:25-27 refers to the unchangeable aspects of life. Don't worry about them, but do have faith in God.

The purpose of a faithful person on earth is to:
1) Be blessed by God
2) Use that blessing to share God's message of hope to the unfaithful people of the world.

These two points are a running theme in the Bible. Also a running theme in the Bible is that those who took the blessings for themselves ultimately faced God's wrath.

So back to the original question: Is it unfaithful to prepare? Clearly the Bible says you should prepare for disasters (see the proverbs verse previously mentioned in this thread).

The warning I would offer about prepping is about attitude. Jesus's clear teaching was that we should serve others. Whoever survives the initial onslaught of whatever seems to be coming and sits in their hole; eating their MREs and does nothing to help those who didn't prepare, that person is sinning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom