Is the lee handload ok to start with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO The Lee breech challenger press kit is recommended for the begining handloader. Hand presses are okay, but you'll want a table top press shortly after you start reloading. I used to take my hand press with me to the range, figuring I could use it there. But I never did. The table top kit is more pricey, but well worth it, if you're going to start handloading. I still use mine for 45 auto and 357 Mag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...reech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

Either way handloading is a great hobby. Have fun and enjoy.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO The Lee breech challenger press kit is recommended for the begining handloader. Hand presses are okay, but you'll want a table top press shortly after you start reloading. I used to take my hand press with me to the range, figuring I could use it there. But I never did. The table top kit is more pricey, but well worth it, if you're going to start handloading. I still use mine for 45 auto and 357 Mag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...reech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit

Either way handloading is a great hobby. Have fun and enjoy.

I would second the recommendation of single stage press. If you are set with getting a hand press, get the Breech Lock press. Using a mallet to reload doesn't really seem safe. Admittedly, I have never done it before though.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Determine what you are loading, then determine what press you need. I wouldn't waste time with a hand press except for a novelty. I have loaded 1000's of rounds on a single stage, but if I was loading straight wall cartridges, I might use a turret press manually or even a progressive if loading something like 9mm.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That wack-a-mole lee that all you need to buy is a hammer is what i started with.
Got the 30-30 first then one for .308 then one for my 30-06.
1.75" groups from the 30-30..
I ended up getting the lee classic cast press for 85 bucks..and some lee dies for all my rifles and handguns.
Reason was i needed to FLS my rifle brass..and the wack-a-mole only neck sizes..so when i got some military brass that would not chamber in my gun i needed a real press.

The cheap hand press will work.. but hard to beat a big O type press for fat rifle brass.

Warning though..if you use a soft primer like the 210m in that wack a mole keep the rod pointed away from your body.
In fact do not use those primers at all in that.
Stick with cci...CCI #34 for rifle is an extra tough primer..
I do not use my field loaders hardly ever now that i have the single stage bench mount.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used and still have an old Lyman hand press that I loaded tons of handgun ammo on and a few rifles. I would recommend a bench mounted O press as well, they make life a ton easier when you start getting into bigger rifle cases. I currently have two single stage presses set up and I am seriously considering stepping up to a turret or progressive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom