Is there anyone here stupid enough to do this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
PSO Testing New Device To Take Load Off Oklahoma Grid

Homeowners in a new program get a small device attached to their a/A/C unit that controls the compressor.

When the energy usage is at its highest PSO cycles the compressor off. Air will still circulate through your home, it just won't be cold.

It's not activated every day, only when the electrical grid that connects to your house is getting overworked. Mary Jackson is coordinator for PSO's Cool Rewards program.

PSO wants to be clear; the unit does not control your thermostat. It cycles the compressor off to ease the stress on the energy grid.

"We're just hoping to limit the energy usage on that particular part of the day, your comfort level in your home should only change one to two degrees at the most," Jackson said.

So, by shutting off the compressor they believe it will only raise the temp one or two degrees? What a freaking joke. Let me help the less fortunate out (in the intelligence area of the brain) when it's 95 to 100 degrees out and your compressor shuts off, your house temp will rise quickly and a lot more than 2 degrees.

Before you get this thing attached to your AC unit, try turning your unit off yourself but leave the fan running. Let me know how that works out for you during the day before the sun sets.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you have a new house with 2x6 or thicker walls and super-duper insulation it might not be bad.
the problem is like with most of these programs they target the poor and elderly who have no insulation.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
og&e used these in the 80's was call a peaks device, i made a living putting them on and taking them off. when you need the a/c most it cycles the compressor off 7.5 minutes every 1/2 hour. i got $25 to put one on and $25 to take it back off again,usually in the same week

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
In a mobile home the temp would go up FAST...... now if they were offering to install a newer more energy efficient A/C I might be interested.

Sunday, I shut my unit off to clean the outside coils. I was out there for about 30 minutes with a ceiling fan in every room on high and a floor fan going to help circulate in the living room. Just in that short amount of time them temp rose almost 5 degrees according to my digital thermometer.

The thing people forget the most is, it's the humidity that's drawn out of the air when the compressor is running that mostly affects the comfort of the air in the house. Once the compressor shuts off the humidity will rise making it feel hotter than it actually is.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PSO contacted me by email asking my opinion on their plan to start installing chargers for electric cars all over town.
I told them that perhaps they should wait till there is a need for chargers before the waste the money.
Who is in charge there? Are they out of their mind?

Latest posts

Top Bottom