Job opportunity for Electrician apprentices

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I believe you're correct. We just came from open house at the vo-tech, and his instructor told us he advises all his students to go commercial or industrial because that's where the money is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Union and willing to travel, he can walk into $100,000 a year wage.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
It's true, but here's the problem. If you go that route you'd better be ready to run your own business and have free cash flow so you can look good enough to get bonds. Otherwise, you won't be able to bid the large jobs. The problem with many contractors is that they don't want to run a business, or they suck at it. However, if you have all your ducks in a row, you'll have jobs for days. Big jobs..... because there aren't many guys out there with the insurance and bonding to get these contracts. Hopefully this changes. It needs to.
Not true.
Union electrician working on a solar field in CA or a nuclear plant somewhere makes $50 an hour if he's good and knows more than the average joe

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not true.
Union electrician working on a solar field in CA or a nuclear plant somewhere makes $50 an hour if he's good and knows more than the average joe

Nothing you relayed compromises what I said as I was speaking of Oklahoma or all the states surrounding it. Don't care what CA does... LOL... they are all sorts of faked up in their laws. Generally speaking, most industrial plants HERE or large commercial or municipal contracts will require insurance and surety that your run of the mill contractor won't have or can't afford. For example, OSU wants a 1 million bond package for a maintenance contract. Not a large bond for sure, but kind of silly to require of a small contractor for maintenance. Wanna work a large job for Manhattan? They'll make you bond out on any job over 300K and carry 5+ million in insurance with 2 Million in pollution.... no matter what kind of contractor you are. Industrial plants.... the same. So ya, on top of there being a shortage of good electricians, the industry norm in terms of requirements is getting tougher and tougher with respect to insurance and bonding.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
King out of El Reno? I know them well. Good outfit to work for! Good equipment and very safety conscious. If'n I were younger...
One thing ya gotta know, it is a family business if you know what I mean.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Nothing you relayed compromises what I said as I was speaking of Oklahoma or all the states surrounding it. Don't care what CA does... LOL... they are all sorts of faked up in their laws. Generally speaking, most industrial plants HERE or large commercial or municipal contracts will require insurance and surety that your run of the mill contractor won't have or can't afford. For example, OSU wants a 1 million bond package for a maintenance contract. Not a large bond for sure, but kind of silly to require of a small contractor for maintenance. Wanna work a large job for Manhattan? They'll make you bond out on any job over 300K and carry 5+ million in insurance with 2 Million in pollution.... no matter what kind of contractor you are. Industrial plants.... the same. So ya, on top of there being a shortage of good electricians, the industry norm in terms of requirements is getting tougher and tougher with respect to insurance and bonding.
I didnt say you were wrong, you've made it clear you never are. I was making the point that what you said is't the entire story. I'm good friends with 2 guys who have been or are still union electrician's and no sire, you walk on the job and go to work. All you need are your tools a a piss test. Im betting that a 3000 acre solar fields in CA or a nuclear power plant in Tennessee are well more than 300,000 dollar projects LOL
$50-$60 an hour and 7-12s making bank. But they hd to follow the money, the big money jobs, not wiring a new house. Thats for the little guys.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt say you were wrong, you've made it clear you never are. I was making the point that what you said is't the entire story. I'm good friends with 2 guys who have been or are still union electrician's and no sire, you walk on the job and go to work. All you need are your tools a a piss test. Im betting that a 3000 acre solar fields in CA or a nuclear power plant in Tennessee are well more than 300,000 dollar projects LOL
$50-$60 an hour and 7-12s making bank. But they hd to follow the money, the big money jobs, not wiring a new house. Thats for the little guys.

Aye, and you've made it clear you'll argue with me over anything, even when I agree with what you're saying.

I'm guess you don't really understand what I'm saying or you're being obtuse. Naturally, you can go work for someone as you will likely have to in the beginning. IF you want to move out of state, fine, great..... more power to you.... god bless as they say. Want to move to California? Bless your heart. Don't care how much money is in it but that is just me. Now, I think, or hope we all agree you can go work for someone and make some decent money. What I am referring to is, down the road, hopefully some guys think bigger. They can go for these bigger jobs, make more money, get better equipment/trucks etc. All I'm saying is that on top of a general shortage of journeymen, you have a shortage of small OK electric businesses that can qualify for the larger jobs, be it for a large corporation, or municipality. We need more local, young, and aggressive guys that want their own company is what I'm saying. That OSU maintenance project I spoke of? They are being billed $180-190 an hour by a Tulsa company because I guess nobody locally has the equipment, bonding and insurance they require. I can go on for days with larger and smaller examples.

Finally, to be fair the threshold of 300,000 I spoke of is an entry point. At 2-3% premium ($6-9K) most guys, or sometimes even small companies don't have the bonding capacity or financials to qualify, or they have to put up an ILOC. THAT'S what I'm talking about, total project size has nothing to do with what I'm talking about because whatever the electrical requires will be bonded out, and their wok doesn't reflect the total contract price. So given again... the minimum they usually require you to bond out is 300K, now think of the 1,000,000+ contracts in terms of cost for the "little guys." If you learn navigate this process well and put yourself in a good financial position, you'll have contracts for the foreseeable future in Oklahoma. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom