Just had a new Storm Shelter installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HKCHEF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to see a myth busters driving a dully into a above ground shelter bolted into concrete at 70 mph. After touring the Joplin tornado damage the day after I can only see my ass underground. But no doubt above ground shelter is better then nothing.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a story of a guy who got pinned by a large truck in Joplin. He was on his way down the steps to his basement when a truck came crashing through the roof then down into the basement pinning him. He survived after texting his girlfriend goodbye.
I'm not a metallurgist, but isn't the shear force failure much lower on a bolt then the tensile failure? In other words a bolt will fail under a much lighter sideways load than a stretching (top/bottom) load.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Metal or concrete, I did not see a failure of any of the above ground shelters.

i31.photobucket.com_albums_c359_akbushcop_IMG_3944.jpg

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tension strength for the bolts is 16,892 and the sheer is 14,840

I have seen a lot of pictures of above ground shelters where the house is gone and it's still standing, they work and it's been shown in quite a few tests and actual tornadoes.

Yea if it gets hit by a big truck we run the risk of something happening, but that would be the same for the shelters in your garage floor.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to see a myth busters driving a dully into a above ground shelter bolted into concrete at 70 mph. After touring the Joplin tornado damage the day after I can only see my ass underground. But no doubt above ground shelter is better then nothing.

Really, the above ground seems pretty strong, and the safe rooms have other benefits that I can see. I just picture the footage from the houses where all that is left is this foundation, and I think having my family underground suits me better. The safe room is better in the case of armed intruders :)

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He knows that he isn't supposed to touch them, but that doesn't mean he won't. He has been going to the range with me since he was 5 months old (my wife and him stayed in the car) and the kid fears no loud sounds because of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom