Kill Fish Before Filleting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you all make it a point to kill your fish before filleting them? I think it's the more humane way to do it, but I've tried in the past with everything from a hammer to the head to a knife to the brain and I just didn't seem to be able to get it right. I felt like I was causing them more suffering than just filleting them and letting them die.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just fillet and go on. With the numbers I fillet any more time than necessary is a waste. I can fillet a 12 to 14 inch sand bass and debone the fillets in under a minute.

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Crappie and sand bass I just cut away. But I like to kill the cats first. A catfish guide told me to take some snips and cut their gills. Then just put them back int the basket/livewell for a few minutes. They bleed out and are good to go. I've noticed on the blues we catch that the meet seems whiter when we do this.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That used to freak my wife out. Frozen fish coming back to life in the sink when getting ready to clean them. Oh, and she used to freak when the catfish would beg to be spared too. She sure did like catching them though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom