Kill Fish Before Filleting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid my dad & uncle would trotline & limbline quite a bit. They would take the cats, cut their tail fins off and drive a nail thru their head and into a tree. Then take a pair of pliers and skin them. After that they would filet them. All while hanging on the tree.
They fileted everything they caught but I only keep the 5lb and smaller cats. I let the big ones go for breeding stock. Just my way of respecting nature and its bounty.
I just throw them on a board and start slicing. Same with crappie. I usually dont eat sandbass, to fishy tasting for me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid my dad & uncle would trotline & limbline quite a bit. They would take the cats, cut their tail fins off and drive a nail thru their head and into a tree. Then take a pair of pliers and skin them. After that they would filet them. All while hanging on the tree.
They fileted everything they caught but I only keep the 5lb and smaller cats. I let the big ones go for breeding stock. Just my way of respecting nature and its bounty.
I just throw them on a board and start slicing. Same with crappie. I usually dont eat sandbass, to fishy tasting for me.

I did the same thing with the nail and still have one in the tree for the next one?
Sanbass? Make sure to cut out the red stripe in the side, and it will not be as fishy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom