Land

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Genuine thank you to everyone who has commented. We live in San Fran....err, Norman, right now. My neighbors are good people, but I hate sitting on my back porch and looking at a privacy fence. I don't even know what part of the state we'd be interested in. My ideal front or back porch would be looking out at a flat horizon I can watch the storms roll across. I also enjoy astronomy, so having a lot of trees around isn't great for that either. NW Oklahoma is probably the best for a flat horizon and dark skies. We probably won't be in the serious position to buy for another 10 years or so. Our plan is to have our house paid off in the next 2-3 years then save cash.

Thanks again to all that commented.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dark skies in western Oklahoma are fantastic. Did you ever notice how many wind farms are out there? There is a reason they selected that location. On my country hideout I described above I had a Celestron 8 mounted on a heavy 8 foot piece of 6 inch pipe buried 5 feet in the ground and filled to the top with concrete. The $600 equatorial mount wiggled so much in the wind that I rarely got a photo worth saving. Notice how out of round the stars are.

telescope.jpg
M42.jpg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After this thread I started looking in grady co. Thinking about moving back to the country now that dads gone and I dont think moms far behind, but hope I'm wrong. moms time is pretty limited so ill be shagging azz to get back to some piece and quiet.
Found a nice 5 acres with a huge pond access at the front for less than market for thst area.
Ill buy it whether I build on it or not but I do think ill wanna build once I actually see it in person. 5 miles from Newcastle where my favorite meat market is and my baby can hit wal mart also semi close. Auto parts stores n eaterys also.
New chapter beginning I hope

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After this thread I started looking in grady co. Thinking about moving back to the country now that dads gone and I dont think moms far behind, but hope I'm wrong. moms time is pretty limited so ill be shagging azz to get back to some piece and quiet.
Found a nice 5 acres with a huge pond access at the front for less than market for thst area.
Ill buy it whether I build on it or not but I do think ill wanna build once I actually see it in person. 5 miles from Newcastle where my favorite meat market is and my baby can hit wal mart also semi close. Auto parts stores n eaterys also.
Link to add? Just kidding.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The dark skies in western Oklahoma are fantastic. Did you ever notice how many wind farms are out there? There is a reason they selected that location. On my country hideout I described above I had a Celestron 8 mounted on a heavy 8 foot piece of 6 inch pipe buried 5 feet in the ground and filled to the top with concrete. The $600 equatorial mount wiggled so much in the wind that I rarely got a photo worth saving. Notice how out of round the stars are.

nice setup!

How’d you find it? That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rural living ain't for the faint of heart.

Seeing a soccer mom SUV driving 20 down a few miles of gravel road trying to stay clean isn't happening. The dirt is real and can be really bad at times. If road isn't maintained well, it can be a 4x4 experience after a rain.

Some people buy an overglorified lot (2-5 acres) in the county and build or move in a house close to the road just like city living and then gripe of the vehicles "flying" down the road. I believe most county speed limits are 45mph and some are 55mph. Traffic down a dirt/gravel road kicks up dirt. If you are downwind of that it is going to blow all over you. Early morning dew is like a magnet for the dust. It doesn't take long for a red roofed house to look chalky white from dust accumulation.
I've never understood why folks own a piece of ground and build their homes 100' off of a gravel/dirt road when they could build it a couple hundred yards inside. Keeping a clean house must be impossible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom