Lawn & pasture, all-purpose chemical sprayer advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 25 gallon towable chemical sprayer that I've had for years, but only used in the spring to spray 24D. It's not great and I've had to replace hoses and wand. Pump works but I'm not sure how well it works. A new one similar to it runs about $400.

Since 2020 I've been working hard to improve my property. 10 acres, house sits near the middle, slopes, trees, brush, currently no livestock. Lawn is 10-30k sq ft, depending on conditions or how much i feel like mowing. 100 yards of road front with newly built fence and gated entrance. Im rural without neighbors that have manicured lawns. Non wooded area including lawn, is about 7 acres. When fences are completed there be over 1 mile of fence lines.

Ticks away from the lawn are horrible. Have to spray myself down when working away from the lawn. Mosquitoes are bad due to drainage issues that I'm also working to improve. Grubs and termites around many of the stumps I've left attract armadillos.

I started looking at better quality sprayers including 3 pt with pto pump. I have a 4 series John Deere that can handle a larger sprayer than I need. I'm just trying to weigh the benefits to cost for the 3 pt sprayer.

I found a 55 gallon Ag Spray boomless with Hamilton nozzle and 25' hose and wand for a lot less than the prices I'm seeing advertised online. Just over $1000.

This one with hypro 6 roller pump, except the one in the link has the jet nozzles.
https://saffordequipment.com/produc...aed5qrvSpqRNMWlfWTeOekCfRTpEPJK4aAijDEALw_wcB

Ag Spray redesigned their sprayers in 2023. They look really nice with a 60 and 90 gallon (and much larger) option, but twice the cost of the one I found. https://saffordequipment.com/produc...-sprayer-bxt-nozzle-22-gun-60-gal-mc1-series/

Looking to spray herbicide, pesticides and fertilizer. Ive been asking myself, Is it overkill for my 10 acres, or a valuable piece of equipment that will pay for itself?

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you wanting to spray broadcast style or mostly spot spray with the wand?

I just rigged up a 15 gallon electric model to my zero turn with a wand and went through the first 15 gallons so fast on weeds around my house it wasnt even funny ,(literally 5 minutes) but have also been seriously considering a much larger 3 point sprayer for one of my tractors for broadcast spraying - so will be watching your thread for recommendations

Im on 10 acres too and upgraded my my tractor from a JD 670 (similar size to a 1025 but no loader) to a 3025 with a loader -- have been loving the upgrade, but since i plan on keeping a 5' tiller on it most of the time, would love to keep the little Deere in use for spray rig purposes

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you wanting to spray broadcast style or mostly spot spray with the wand?

I just rigged up a 15 gallon electric model to my zero turn with a wand and went through the first 15 gallons so fast on weeds around my house it wasnt even funny ,(literally 5 minutes) but have also been seriously considering a much larger 3 point sprayer for one of my tractors for broadcast spraying - so will be watching your thread for recommendations

Im on 10 acres too and upgraded my my tractor from a JD 670 (similar size to a 1025 but no loader) to a 3025 with a loader -- have been loving the upgrade, but since i plan on keeping a 5' tiller on it most of the time, would love to keep the little Deere in use for spray rig purposes
My landscape and terrain are better suited for boomless plus the wand for spot spraying. For example, If I spray for ticks I need to spray in the trees and under leaves. I think the boomless has about a 30' reach but will be less precise.

I was about to buy a 3 series when I happened upon the 4044. Very happy with it. Some jobs I'd like to have larger, but frequently I'd like to have smaller. It has been a good fit for me. The boomless and 4044 will not be good for around the house without the wand because the tractor is too heavy and flowers in the flower bed.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My landscape and terrain are better suited for boomless plus the wand for spot spraying. For example, If I spray for ticks I need to spray in the trees and under leaves. I think the boomless has about a 30' reach but will be less precise.

I was about to buy a 3 series when I happened upon the 4044. Very happy with it. Some jobs I'd like to have larger, but frequently I'd like to have smaller. It has been a good fit for me. The boomless and 4044 will not be good for around the house without the wand because the tractor is too heavy and flowers in the flower bed.

Never scrimp on an opportunity to turn a post into a pitcher thread - LOL

My impromptu spray rig --dang thing actually puts the prdect down pretty well, -- just needs a lot more capacity -- plus working a ZTR and a spray nozzle at the same time is a pain

5XY22GIl.jpg

My 3 Series -- i almost look for excuses to use the tiller and loader its so fun -- im a mountain bike enthusiast so it has been getting worked cutting and grooming trails - but theres only so much you can do with 10 acres

t3Fwxa1l.jpg

But as mentioned - would love to re-purpose the little guy to a spray rig - but thinking a larger electric motored rig with perhaps a 25 or 30 gallon tank attached to the front for spot spraying and keep the brush hog or a box blade out back to balance it out

ZwYc9Pbl.jpg

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never scrimp on an opportunity to turn a post into a pitcher thread - LOL

My impromptu spray rig --dang thing actually puts the prdect down pretty well, -- just needs a lot more capacity -- plus working a ZTR and a spray nozzle at the same time is a pain

5XY22GIl.jpg

My 3 Series -- i almost look for excuses to use the tiller and loader its so fun -- im a mountain bike enthusiast so it has been getting worked cutting and grooming trails - but theres only so much you can do with 10 acres

t3Fwxa1l.jpg

But as mentioned - would love to re-purpose the little guy to a spray rig - but thinking a larger electric motored rig with perhaps a 25 or 30 gallon tank attached to the front for spot spraying and keep the brush hog or a box blade out back to balance it out

ZwYc9Pbl.jpg
I did the ztr while spraying with wand last weekend. Tricky it is.

A 25 gallon could also ride on the mower or box blade. I thought of making a boom for my 25 ga and ride it on a 3 pt carry all.

Pictures added

Attachments

• 20240314_194249.jpg
    20240314_194249.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220820_100837.jpg
    20220820_100837.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got mine up and running. The one I had for sale here. I'm going to save $65 bimonthly for spraying. All I had to do is cut off the sun damaged ends of the hose, add a T and two inline shut off ball valves. One valve to the hand sprayer and one to the boom.
I hooked up a switch to turn it on and off while driving. I stuck it on a bent rod that I am able to stick in a premanufactured hole in the fender.
1711760177670.jpeg

I borrowed an idea my father had. I made a quick disconnect to the lawnmower battery from an electrical plug and receptical. It works great.
1711760218199.jpeg

1711760438652.jpeg

It works great!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use the Wylie Defender 3 point sprayer behind the Mahindra. Boomless sprayer that covers 30' with a wand for spot spraying. We have too many trees on the property to use a boom type sprayer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom