Lawn & pasture, all-purpose chemical sprayer advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are nice sprayers. What size tank? What chemicals do you use?
100 gallon
I use everything from roundup to 2-4-D. When one of those sprayers is bought, it has a roller pump that is operated by the PTO shaft. Roundup is very corrosive to some metals, that pump being susceptible to damage from it. The guy at the COOP where I buy chemicals said to flush the tank with Ammonia after spraying to negate the corrosive effects. It worked for years, and finally thought I should update to the silver model of that pump that is immune to roundup corrosion. I did, and after installing it, opened up the old pump. The COOP guy was right. There was no corrosion on the internals of the old pump. Ammonia can be bought at Dollar General for a couple bucks a gallon.
So I have a spare now.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
100 gallon
I use everything from roundup to 2-4-D. When one of those sprayers is bought, it has a roller pump that is operated by the PTO shaft. Roundup is very corrosive to some metals, that pump being susceptible to damage from it. The guy at the COOP where I buy chemicals said to flush the tank with Ammonia after spraying to negate the corrosive effects. It worked for years, and finally thought I should update to the silver model of that pump that is immune to roundup corrosion. I did, and after installing it, opened up the old pump. The COOP guy was right. There was no corrosion on the internals of the old pump. Ammonia can be bought at Dollar General for a couple bucks a gallon.
So I have a spare now.
Yes, I've read that the "blue" pump is not recommended for glyphosate or fertilizer. However a lot of online posts that say the same as you. Thorough cleaning after use and it will last many years. I may use the old small sprayer for glyphosate though. I don't see using it in large areas.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I bought the 3 pt sprayer with pto pump. Now I just gotta learn about the chemicals. Aside from the basic weed control I want to spray some brush and then some insecticide for grubs and ticks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom