LED Strip Lights in a Garage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get serious about doing something. I've got a single 8' fluorescent two bulb in my garage, and one of the bulbs started acting up about the time this thread started (of course!). Both bulbs are dark on the ends and one hardly comes on at all. It's hard wired, so I suppose the best thing to do would be to just pull it down and install two 4-footers. OR,@rickm do you happen to have a link to this type of kit?

Other ideas? One day last week, I flipped the switch and neither one of the bulbs came on full bright! I shut it off and waited a while and they came on, but I'm afraid that one day soon they won't come on at all.

If you don't want to convert to LED, just change out the bulbs. The dark ends signify end of life for them.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to get serious about doing something. I've got a single 8' fluorescent two bulb in my garage, and one of the bulbs started acting up about the time this thread started (of course!). Both bulbs are dark on the ends and one hardly comes on at all. It's hard wired, so I suppose the best thing to do would be to just pull it down and install two 4-footers. OR,@rickm do you happen to have a link to this type of kit?

Other ideas? One day last week, I flipped the switch and neither one of the bulbs came on full bright! I shut it off and waited a while and they came on, but I'm afraid that one day soon they won't come on at all.

Have no link i get mine from Locke's here locally

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m blaming you guys!

I just walked out into the garage and I have another 8’ light that has failed. [emoji50]

If you are replacing 8’ fluorescent tubes, take a look at the existing lumens. My high output tubes are 9000 lumen per pair. You have to look carefully to find replacement fixtures that get close to that. Or at least you did when I first swapped mine. Most 4’ replacement are 4000 and under. More recently I’ve seen a few at 5500. So two 4’ replacements can put out 11,000 lumen.

It’s not going to be the ultra cheap stuff. This is the reason i still have several fluorescents in my garage. I’ve replaced a few and used the old parts to keep the others going. I just don’t want to shell out $1500 on lighting at one time.

I replaced a 8’ high output fluorescent light with a LED today.

I found one at Home Depot that was two 4s’ assembly’s that would allow them to be mounted parallel or in random. 11000 Lumen (2 x 5500).
The existing lamps were 4100-4500 lumen.

I’m very happy with it/them. So much so, I’m going to go pick up 3 more to swap out this weekend.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...Output-11000-Lumens-4000K-54598141/308576402?

4fb8a722d2d374f0a1ca7a3e8e041516.jpg
ed0b321b3900549c618b77bc37f4c598.jpg
71c533bfc0723bb762abfbe9e0e546aa.jpg
2347c0567d27562fe36db83996235fbc.jpg

Update.

I had another 8’ and a 6’ fluorescents that had failed. Two “working” ballasts were humming at different frequencies. These units were about 12 years old now, so I decided to change all of them all out to LED. I also wanted to extend the row where the previous LED was I installed 4 years ago was. Instead of miss-matching them. I replaced it also. It was a 9000 lumen, I believe. While it worked well, the new one is a bit brighter.

I now have 9 of these 8’ units mounted. 99,000 lumens in a 700 SqFt 3 car garage. It is plenty bright. I also installed switches to allow me to leave off some of the rows unless the needed for a particular task. I couldn’t be happier with the finished product.

These are commercial grade units and are of a bit better lighting quality than most I have seen. Traditionally they also have a longer lifespan. But they do carry a higher price tag.

Now to get some things cleaned out an a project or two finished so I can get back to reloading.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I've changed them several times ... too frequently for my liking. Eight-foot bulbs are a pain and too expensive to keep changing so often.

You need the kit on the left in the pic. I have one you can have if you are ever close to Tulsa. Then wire the power to the sockets and put in (4) 4' LED bypass lamps.

Attachments

• PIC_165_RetroFit_Brackets.jpg
    PIC_165_RetroFit_Brackets.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need the kit on the left in the pic. I have one you can have if you are ever close to Tulsa. Then wire the power to the sockets and put in (4) 4' LED bypass lamps.

Thanks for the offer! If I ever get that direction again, I'll certainly take you up on it! Might be a while, so don't wait on me if someone else comes along who needs/wants it and can come and get it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom