LEOs be careful out there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm nowhere near your expertise in IT for the record.

There was a thread on dash cams awhile back. I was thinking there was some legality that let them delete the video's after a certain length of time if there were no legalities on the video?

Not that I am aware of. A "record" as defined by the Oklahoma Attorney General can be found here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not that I am aware of. A "record" as defined by the Oklahoma Attorney General can be found here.

Crap like this in your link reminds me of why we need to have legislation written in human language.

A.G. Opin. 02-42:
The Silver Haired Legislature is subject to the Open Records Act, 51 O.S.
2001, §§ 24A.1 – 24A.26, because it is supported in part by publicly funded
state agencies, thereby making it a public body under the Act.

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is also another potential problem that I want to throw into the mix here.

Body cams, like dash cameras, are subject to Open Records Act. That means that the police department has to keep every moment recorded for 7 years. With hundreds of officers and cameras/incidents being recorded, the raw storage, backup (potential hard drive failure) and chain of custody tracking of these videos, plus the copying of these videos for investigations, ORA and media requests this can cause potential problems for departments both large and small. There will also be hardware failures and other things to consider.

Technology is never as simple as it seems once it is scaled up, I deal with medium to large infrastructure daily.

Storage is actually pretty damn cheap and easy, far better than paper records.

But, yes, "hardware failures" do happen all the time with dash cams. Completely coincidental when it happens in a civil rights abuse case...

JacobDaddy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crap like this in your link reminds me of why we need to have legislation written in human language.

A.G. Opin. 02-42:
The Silver Haired Legislature is subject to the Open Records Act, 51 O.S.
2001, §§ 24A.1 – 24A.26, because it is supported in part by publicly funded
state agencies, thereby making it a public body under the Act.

Yeah, sounds like the legislators wanted to exempt themselves from ORA "for the good of the people" or some other political BS that they can think up. AG basically says Nope, if it is taxpayer funded it is subject to ORA. That is the way that everything is treated in my office. If it is written down it becomes a record, emails, notes, whiteboard, etc. Now verbal conversations, I may or may not be able to recall what was or was not said. But I always go above and beyond the law and make everything I do transparent. When I spend $1 of the taxpayer money, I make sure that it is the best fit for the job and that I have compared prices. I consistently play my vendors to compete with each other and earn my business.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I truly believe the world is going to hell in a handbasket and we are seeing the beginnings of the fall of mankind.
We didn't used to have 24hr cable news channels to tell us "things are falling apart" so we didn't have any idea.
Piled on top of that are the apocalyptic preachers pointing to every little thing as evidence that Gabriel is about to blow his horn.

Interesting article on slate this week.
It's a very long article so I will only post a link to it if you would like to read it and I will link to some of the charts.

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_fordfb4028e50e6e699fbbd22d8867ce99f.jpg

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_fora86d1766ba38c720a42e0621aac4f104.jpg

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_for66b572478612372a42ccee030caabf63.jpg

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_for16338e47dc7c0d2c70884c0da612735c.jpg

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_for651afb629fa577916866231fde0269dc.jpg

www.slate.com_content_dam_slate_articles_news_and_politics_for1a282643ec04272b3b79737a38d4cf64.jpg

hawkfan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The world is definitely a safer place than it was 20-30 years ago. The biggest difference is media sensationalism, social media, and a more connected society. None of this is bad but it can and does lead to over exaggeration and an "I need to know something now whether it's right or wrong" mentality. Fear is far more prevalent than crime is today.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The retardedness is having an effect and not a good one either.

After bringing a knife to a gun fight, Alfonso Martinez of Milwaukee, Wisconsin is alive today only because the cops, afraid for their own lives, were more afraid that shooting him would cause civil unrest.
Martinez began chasing the officers around parked vehicles as they yelled at him to drop the knife, and one of the officers even indicated that she was “beginning to wear out from the running,” before Martinez finally dropped the knife and was arrested.
Link

I guess he got tired too, but what if he hadn't decided to give up?

Big_McLargehuge

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Some LE agencies are beginning to use them. Be it as it may, I would have one whether it was SOP or not. They could simply tell me to quit using the body cam or quit the force. I would quit the force before I gave up such a valuable piece of cover my ass technology.

Some LE unions are also fighting against the use of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom