Let's talk personal debt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking A. But I've got 3 guys in their 60s, all worth 7 figures, who know my situation a little better. My situation being that my wife and I are 30 years from retirement and are behind on our retirement & investments for our age. They have all told me this is the cheapest money I'll ever get in my lifetime. They think I should pull out a big chunk of equity (maybe 50-60% of value) at ~3% and I should be able to make a better return if not much better.

I told them I'd just make my former house payment into an investment account but since I'm behind, they think it would be wiser to start with a larger principal. I love the thought of being debt free, but it's hard to argue with the rich, old bastards. I'd be happy with any of their situations at their age.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends. If you're in year 25 of a 30 yr mortgage, you are paying almost all principal and very little interest. Use the money to invest and make money.

TurboFinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would not invest in any "paper product". if you can't defend it with an assault rifle, don't buy it. real assets only. you can throw historical data out the window. we are in uncharted waters. now is the time to get out of the market before the dollar crashes and burns.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Answer "A"

Eliminate all risk and start building your wealth with what you are saving on house payments. It is very risky to borrow money against your home to invest. Shortcuts and greed will get you in trouble faster than anything.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might go against the grain a bit. I can definitely agree with an understand the Plan A guys. But the missed investment opportunity carries equal weight. Why not try Plan 50/50 A/B?

Latest posts

Top Bottom