Lever actions - pics, discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So, assuming this is just an open lever gun discussion. I just picked up Jack Wallace’s old model 94, and I’m really thrilled to have it. I don’t intend on removing the name from the rifle, but looking at the furniture there is some damage. Thoughts on refinishing? It’s a 1972 model and is in great shape overall, but does have the previous owners name engraved into it. Thoughts? Should I keep the original furniture untouched and buy new, or should I assume this will likely remain a shooter and refinish it under the assumption that it won’t really be detracting from its future value? I will definitely be shooting this rifle and taking it hunting.View attachment 286229View attachment 286230
Steam it and oil (Linspeed or thinned Tung oil) and buff. Don't sand. Everyone wants to sand and go all bubba on them, and it removes the color of the wood and it's character. It'll take another 50yrs to get that color again

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steam it and oil (Linspeed or thinned Tung oil) and buff. Don't sand. Everyone wants to sand and go all bubba on them, and it removes the color of the wood and it's character. It'll take another 50yrs to get that color again
Older style cotton shoe laces are great for buffing small areas.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The patina is a great point. I think I’ll have to follow what you’re suggesting.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally think that's a really good era for the Winchester 94. It is after the "pre 64" craze, but before safety and angle eject and that kind of junk that changed it. It's a good time frame to pick up a cool shooter.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Winchester 9417
This one has always been a favorite of mine. incredible accuracy and fun to shoot.
IMG_20220713_104820.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom