Light Loads for 30-06 ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just aquired a savage 110 30-06 and was wanting to make some lighter loads for it. I shot it with some 180gr hornady sst and it shot a 1inch group @ 100yd from the bed of the truck:) But was wanting to make some lighter loads for my wife to hunt with. Im not looking for tons of speed just less recoil for her to handle (she is use to a .243) I loaded some 150gr Nos BT with 49gr behind it that i plan on testing but with 1:10 twist will it stabilize very well cause if it shoots the 150gr then i was going to drop to 130gr next... any tips that could help or am i just waisting my time?

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it shoots 180s it will stabilize smaller (shorter) bullets just fine. Going heavier is where you have to worry about stabilization. I don't know about light 30-06 loads though. I'd imagine you could just go by the starting loads from the books. Maybe even under those by 5% or so.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used IMR 4064 with the 150gr but started in the middle (49gr)
Would it be better to go with a barrel with less twist like 1:12 for the lighter bullet or just use less of a load to try and keep the speed down? We hunt out west so longer shots are allways present (300+ yards) so i dont want to tone it down so much that it drops off at longer ranges... hopefully im not asking for to much i just dont have much experience with '06

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMR-3031 powders ignites quite readilly and was used for many years to produce lower velocity loads. Unfortunately I discarded the data many yeras ago when I stopped shooting the 30-06.

Latest posts

Top Bottom