Limiting collection by Caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has done this or thought about it along these lines, but it makes sense to me.

I can't store large amounts of ammo in 2 dozen different calibers. Nor can I afford to. Therefore, my thought is pick a few calibers and only by guns in those calibers, excluding something bought just as a collectible.

If I was to do so my thoughts are along the lines of the following calibers:

.22 lr
.223/5.56
9mm
.357 mag
30-06
12 gauge shotgun

Even just 1000 rounds each of those makes a pretty good sized stack. What do you guys do?

03on22s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I figure it is if there is some sort of disaster I'm not sticking around my place. I have a different spot to go to. So, my plan is for my girlfriend and me to have the same caliber rifles and same caliber pistols. AR's and 9mm. 2 of the most common rounds in the world. Those 2 are what I buy the most of. If time permits I'll grab my m1a too, but I don't keep as much ammo for it around I concentrate on the other two. As for all my other guns that are just around for fun, I only keep an hundred or 2 around.

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went to .40, .22lr, .223, 7.62X39, 7.62X51, 12ga, 20ga. Got rid of .380, 9mm and .45
Over time added 16ga, 38/.357 for the wife, have a .410 with just a few boxes of ammo but too expensive for the kids to shoot, and added some 9mm when I bought and then sold CW9, with no gun in that caliber currently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom