Lion Hunt, thank God for the PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guided a guy and his two sons on a youth hunt for a friend/neighbor from my blind. Both killed a doe, and when time to gut, he asked I not help as he wanted to teach his kids.
He had those does unzipped faster than I've seen anybody do that, and as he removed each organ he told the sons what it was and what it did in the body.
When getting the man and sons back to the camp, neighbor and I went to retrieve the does in a UTV.
I commented about his skills and was told he had been a heart surgeon for about 10 years, and unzipped people every day. Yeah, he knew what he was doing.
This was 15 give or take years ago.
I actually met up with this Dr. online last year and came to the conclusion I was the one guiding his sons as we have a common friend which is our neighbor. Small world.
To make it even smaller, Last summer when we were in Howard Co for the Summer, we met a couple and spent a lot of time touring the backwoods. One night with adult beverages abundant, he told a story of a guy that took a Dr. out on a noodling trip and he mentioned a name.
It was the knick name of our neighbor at the farms that put on the youth hunts. Very different knick name so it got my attention, and I asked him if this guy's real name was Greg. It sure was and he used to work with our neighbor in the medical sales field for years.
He said that was impossible, surely you don't know Greg, so I got on the phone and called Greg. They had a good chat, then told me about the story above Greg had related to him about the Heart Surgeon in the past.
What are the odds of that?
Not trying to hijack the thread but, what's the odds of this. Every time I would return home to Va. I would visit an old friend. I'm knocking on his door one day and the guy next door tells me he isn't home because he had died. This I didn't know. So, I told the neighbor that I lived in Ok. and would visit Victor (the friend) each time I returned to Va.. The neighbor told me he had relatives in Ok.. I asked him what part of Ok and he said Ponca City. I told him I lived in Ponca and asked the name of the relatives. He said Coonrod and they worked in the oil business. I told him I worked in the refinery and knew some Coonrod people there. After returning to Ponca City and back at work I confirmed the neighbor's relative was the Coonrod I knew at work. Small world.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. Small world.

Sometimes it’s smaller than we realize.

When I got to the lodge in Argentina for my dove hunt there were 3 guys there from Oklahoma. One of them lives about 8 miles south of me, and we all 4 know a ton of the same people. Kinda crazy. 1000’s of miles from home and meet a guy that lives less than 10 miles from me at home, and the guy that lives close works for a HS classmate of mine. Nutz.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But we would shoot a deer, elk, bison, or eland while they’re chewing their cud wouldn’t we? Different strokes for different folks.
Yeah, but there is a LOT more deer, elk, bison, and antelope around than lions, especially when considering the success of breeding programs and wildlife management.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, no expert at lion hunting, it looked like the bolt him him low.
That would be considered a low percentage shot opportunity. Did the first two gun shots miss the lion? No apparent effect on the lion's charge movement, until third shot broke down the shoulder structure, knocked it down, fourth shot incapacitated it. Had they been 10 yds closer, they would have been lunch meat. Noticing the young PH got down for a better shot angle, the old PH stood making it a poorer shot angle on charging cat. On a cat, one should get down to minimize the movement line/lead. A leopard will kill one shooting from a standing position as they are so fast few can lead them effectively.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Idk how anybody could feel accomplished after this. If you wanna hunt whatever animal, that I don't really care about....but he didn't actually hunt the animal so why the "congrats" to him? The PH did the heavy lifting and this guy takes credit for all of it???

Latest posts

Top Bottom