Local gun shops who WON'T answer phones!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes I may be wrong. They may in fact pay someone $12 an hour to look for things that look like cracks which means not a thing to me. But I guarantee that if they do, which I doubt, they aren't certified and don't truly know what they are doing past what the company paying them tells them to look for. It costs serious money to maintain ASNT certifications and if you are making $100 AR barrels it just ain't gonna happen. Those making stuff for government contracts that require testing almost certainly send their stuff out to a certified lab to be tested. I know because I used to be in charge of keeping one of them up to date and in compliance.
No, it wasn't aimed at you. You're more Ralph than fonzie in this situation. The OP was wrooon.. wronnn... wasn't right lol

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP, I would have given up A LOT faster than you. That's why I do a lot of business online. Nothing wrong with wanting to give a local shop business, but I won't lower my standards just to stay local......and yes, time is money.

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some random thoughts:

1) If you would have ordered from their website you'd have the items by now.

2) NOBODY is mag particle inspecting bargain priced sporting type barrels. Sorry. They just aren't. That process alone will add $75 to the price of a barrel in and of itself and would constitute a serious choke on delivering product by the manufacturers. And I highly doubt the top tier barrels are either unless it's a military contract production run. For the MP test to mean anything at all each and every barrel has to be tested. A spot check every so often is utterly meaningless. NDT can't be done by just any trained monkey making $12 an hour either. ASNT certifications aren't easy to get, they take a lot of time, effort and OJT to get a Level 2 cert. A Level I cert is probably equivalent to a bachelor's degree, Level II a masters and Level III, a PhD. The subject matter involves lots of physics, math, engineering and metallurgy. To sign off an NDT test in aerospace, one has to have a Level II cert. Some companies do MP test bolts, barrel extensions and the like but I highly doubt they are tested by certified NDT inspectors, and it means absolutely nothing IMO unless they are. It's just marketing BS.

3) I personally like it that they place the customer standing in front of them at a higher priority than a ringing phone.

4) Sorry to rain on anybody's parade thinking they have the most battle hardened milspec piece of kit...
Yes I know a good portion of your post, this thread was never meant to trash on FBT barrels. If they would have answered there phones like 99% of other stores I could have asked the questions I wanted to know and made my choice. I only brought up quality because of the secrecy combined with cheap prices. Like I said EVERY other store I called had no problem telling me who they used. I dont think there barrels will explode or melt down, I was concerned with accuracy.

Last edited:

berserk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I mean we dont ask where Ford or Chevy get their parts from? Why are guns so different? We also trust manufactures of other industries to know what they are doing to buy parts from manufactures that work and have the best value to them. I just dont g

I may be strange, but I DO ask that question. The internet is a great resource and I can find out if Chevy builds there 5.3 ls engine in a certain Mexican plant that is known to have casting flaws in the heads that lead to cracks and water leaks into the crank case. I can also find out how good a part is I'm buying at Auto Zone buy the country of origin and who made it. For instance I need a tie rod right now for my 1976 Chevy K10, I can either get a Moog for 100$ or a House brand for 40-60$ Moog is known to be a reliable well made part. While house brands are hit and miss. If I call AutoZone, they will tell me no problem who makes the part I want and even if its US or Chinese.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be strange, but I DO ask that question. The internet is a great resource and I can find out if Chevy builds there 5.3 ls engine in a certain Mexican plant that is known to have casting flaws in the heads that lead to cracks and water leaks into the crank case. I can also find out how good a part is I'm buying at Auto Zone buy the country of origin and who made it. For instance I need a tie rod right now for my 1976 Chevy K10, I can either get a Moog for 100$ or a House brand for 40-60$ Moog is known to be a reliable well made part. While house brands are hit and miss. If I call AutoZone, they will tell me no problem who makes the part I want and even if its US or Chinese.

So specifically, which other shops did you call that had "house" brand barrels in the price range of FBT and told you who made their barrels? Just out of curiosity.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am the source, based on my calls into nics

Guess you do it differently than my dealer. So it routinely takes you 45 minutes for a NICS check?

Man... make it tough to stay in business that way. Online checks have taken no time the last few times I've seen it done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom