LOOKING FOR A GUN HUNTING REVOLVER .any ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OF is right on the money. I load up powder puff .41's ....I just don't spring for the ".41 special" brass.....for practice. Different point of aim but I know where it is.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Redhawk and a scoped Super Redhawk, both in .44 Mag. Both are extremely accurate. They are the strongest of the "big three." I think the 29 is second, and the Colt, surprisingly comes in third based on the reports of kabooms I have seen. Can't speak for any of the other .44 Mag offerings.

You'll pay a bit less for the Rugers. I suggest stainless if you ever plan to do much in bad weather. Both of mine have seven and a half inch barrels. This length is fairly holster friendly. but still offers a decent sight radius. I am comfortable out to 60 yards or so with open sights and to 100 yards with the 2x scope on the Super, allowing for some drop.

Like some of the others, I don't see the need for the expensive and punishing calibers that are hotter than the .44. When I am in hog country, I am never without one of these, regardless of what other gun/s I am carrying. CB

Reaction score
.44 mag or .45 Colt are you best bets for chambering (though .357 will work too). 6" bbl is preferred, or 8", but 4" or 5" will work too, out to most woods-hunting ranges. One of my goals of guns to "blood" is a S&W 626 Mountain Gun 4" in .45 Colt. Single or double action; doesn't matter for hunting - you're gonna hunt single action whether the gun does double also or not.

Gawdsakes do NOT hunt with a .460 or .500 - those things always have porting, and that's a surefire way to damage your hearing if hunting without ear protection. Certainly no reason to go that powerful. However, someone makes a revo in .480 ruger without porting - can't remember whether it's Ruger or someone else - that'd be the way to go if you just have to have the hand cannon chambering. Oh, and I think Freedom Arms makes some big boys without porting, too, if you have that kind of cash.

kalebiscool

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a .44 Super Redhawk and never looked back. My father has several Smiths and Redhawks, and i have to say the factory trigger is more crisp on the Smith and it is much lighter than my 9.5 inch scoped S Redhawk.After a spring kit and some polishing and about 50 million dry fires i think my Ruger trigger feels as good as the Smith, and At the end of the day more holes go into the correct place down range with my Ruger than with my dads 8 3/8 Smith. If your worried about the punch go to Garrettcartriges.com and look at some of those weights and velocities. I handload these rounds which makes shooting this already inexpensive(as far as hand cannons go)caliber much less expensive, and with a little work i have exceeded the velocities Garrett loads their cartridges too, safely. This pistol so far (knock on wood) for me has been indestructible. The smallest load this thing has ever had in the cylinder is a 240 at about 1500fps and it has seen thousands of larger loads. Hogs Beware!!!! plus its almost squirrel season....

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
S&W M629 DX. Pre-lock tack driver.

Attachments

• SW 629 DX.jpg
    SW 629 DX.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 106

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on what you are going to be hunting, for the animals we have in Oklahoma the 44 magnum works just fine. The price of ammo and the recoil is not nearly as bad as the 460.

I agree, i hunt with my Ruger 44 mag. Killed a nice deer with it at 5 yards 3 years ago... he had no chance.:musketeers:

Latest posts

Top Bottom