Looking to buy my first press...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
whelp... just got back from Jerry's with some primers, bullets, powder..... now I just need a press :)

also come to find out my digital scale doesn't weigh in 'grains' so, I'll have to add that to the list.... it seems by browsing online I should be able to pick up a decent reloading scale for $30..

I'm only going to reload 9mm for now so if I stay within manufactures specs I probably won't need to buy a 'reloading book' right away, or at least don't think I need it 'just now'... as I tend to read cover to cover and get information overload, which in turn may cloud my judgement for just one round....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be poor I would buy books and learn how to do things on my own.
When i had money and was doing good i would have 8 bucks in the bank at the end of the month.
That was a good month all bills were paid.
The public library had plenty to read for free on all kinds of things.
Roofing, concrete pouring and mixing. Auto repair, and many other things to read for free.
It is not information overload it is information loaded.
Later i saved and saved and would get many how to books from race suspension tuning to the Qjet and Holley carb books.
How to hot rod your SBC etc etc.
A wealth of knowledge in such a small outlay of cash..usually 18-22 bucks a book then.. But it saved me tons of money.
No internet then...

Try to google some free pages in Lyman 49th.
Or stand at the counter somewhere that has it and read 10 pages of reloading in that book.

This is not a cheap hobby.
Be safe and informed and have fun.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be poor I would buy books and learn how to do things on my own.
When i had money and was doing good i would have 8 bucks in the bank at the end of the month.
That was a good month all bills were paid.
The public library had plenty to read for free on all kinds of things.
Roofing, concrete pouring and mixing. Auto repair, and many other things to read for free.
It is not information overload it is information loaded.
Later i saved and saved and would get many how to books from race suspension tuning to the Qjet and Holley carb books.
How to hot rod your SBC etc etc.
A wealth of knowledge in such a small outlay of cash..usually 18-22 bucks a book then.. But it saved me tons of money.
No internet then...

Try to google some free pages in Lyman 49th.
Or stand at the counter somewhere that has it and read 10 pages of reloading in that book.

This is not a cheap hobby.
Be safe and informed and have fun.

yeah, seems most hobbies I pick up are never cheap.. but I'm always able to have fun and break even if I lose the desire in a hobby... I probably will hit the library as Its really close, I just don't think I need my own at the moment as I may read all that's in it and not use that info just for 9mm or 40, nor able to retain it all... there isn't one reloading book that I've seen that is small, I like to learn all I can about what I'm doing so if its just sectioned off for a particular load I will restrain myself and only read that info, but if I have the book in my lap on my leisure on the couch I will read it cover to cover....

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and I highly recommend seeing Jerry over at Jerry's reloading at 51st and Mingo. He helped me a bunch in transitioning from simple straight wall pistol to rifle reloading.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yep got all my components from jerry's, not sure who I dealt with but was really helpful...

Update:.... after many hours of reading/researching even more into loading, I've decided after all the other "pre expenses" for tumbler,separator, scale, etc I'm going with the Lee Pro 1000, many love it after tinkering with a mod or two and others simply hate it... no doubt I'm a tinkerer and like modding stuff anyhow so for the buck this is the logical choice for me...

I thought I was set on dillon until I read about the 'glocked brass', and found that many of them now use lee dies to resolve the issue. well I looked further into Lee and found one I think I'll grow to love thousands of rounds later, so what if its only warrantied for only two years by then I'll know for sure what direction if any my new reloading experience will take me, I have a lot of other hobbies so this will just fill another slot and not consume all my time...

I'm buying it today along with a few other goodies for hundreds less then I'd pay for a basic set up from dillon....

I'll update and harass you guys even further when I get it up and running...

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet !!!! just ordered the Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm, case gauge, one shot spray, and the casing collator for $206 out the door for everything!!!

also awaiting my tumbler, seperator, bullet puller, and scale from another order...

total for everything to my door is $296 !!!!!!

I have sitting in my garage anxiously:

2 lbs of Powder
1000 CCI Primers
1000 Berry's 9mm bullets
700 once fired brass

I have all this and still come under what it would cost to buy a square deal....

I'm chomping at the bit now and going out to the garage to clean off a work station on the bench........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom