Lube ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about the high wear areas, which are readily seen via their shine...........those areas i'd grease, other areas that you'll have to use your judgement and common sense on moving parts vs oil vs grease and good ol OK DIRT, well clay as I don't call this stuff Dirt.

Greases - look into Slide Glide, Weapon Shield, Wilson Combat, Frog Lube, or good ole High temp bearing grease (for an AR, not nec. for pistol).

Oils - Weapon Shield, Slip2000, Militec, Wilson Combat, Mobil 1 or AmsOil too if you want to give that a try

Watch a few Manuf. videos too, like wilson combat's if you want more 'expert' opinions. Common sense - all guns have springs, hammers, high wear surfaces, etc......so the applications will be similar. In the end, try your combinations out in the field and then stick with what works for your situation(s).

Even if you have parts coated/metals altered in IonBond or Cerakote, NP3 or Rogard, Melonite, Carbo Nitride etc........they all have lubricating properties that can be aided by above compounds........

gas99

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'v been using both types of Royal Purple for the past 3 years on all my guns and I have not had problem with the handguns, ar's or long guns. In fact I gave away all my other oils. I only reoil about every 6 months if that because it lasts forever.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the very best lube out there is any brand of synthetic automatic transmission fluid. Don't waste $ on gun specific lubes that sell for upwards of $80 a quart, and don't really contain anything special. Synthetic ATF will do the job with lubricity to spare.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
30 wt is good stuff. If it is synthetic like Norman uses it's great stuff. Oh, and like druryj said, don't over lube it...what he didn't tell you is why. It will only stay overlubed for one or two shots...then you will be wearing the excess.

Yes, I fail to mention that, didn't I? Well, it's a true fact. Nothing like looking down at your nice white shirt to see greasy spots all over it.

porscheman2944

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started using FireClean on my duty gun. you basically wet a q-tip with it and wipe parts down it doesn't drip or run. I still have yet to use it on my AR's (no uppers) but My Glock runs smooth with it. I have yet to hear about someone that doesn't like it. I also have a question for the people that use the transmission fluid. Doesn't it draw moisture like brake fluid does? I have seen the SBR full autos that GWACs were using to test it before they started carrying it. I forget the round count but it was still smooth.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just the way I was raised (and reinforced through 20+ years of service): If it gets shot, it gets cleaned. If it gets cleaned, it gets lubed.

I've been using Mil-Comm TW25B, and been pretty happy with it.

As far as what parts get lubed... the parts that move! Seriously, it depends on the particular gun, but the slide rails on a semi-auto pistol and the bolt on a rifle are probably the most important. I'll also give the whole gun a very light coat of lube to inhibit rust.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used all sorts of gun lubes over the years, but anymore since owning a Harley and running syn oil, I just drain the empty Mobil1 jugs into a clean measuring cup, then transfer whatever dribbles out into old CLP bottles. Works fine, price is... free, and doesn't smoke as much as dino oil on a hot AR barrel. I'm still working my way through a sample tub of Militec grease for rails and other places where the lube needs to stay put. A $3 tube of wheel bearing grease works just as well and will last forever.

Sure, there's reasons to go nearly dry- like for the guys down range in the desert, or brushed down with oil/wetter- like if out hunting in the rain or humid salt marshes, but for most of us range/ field shooters, check the manual (like mentioned above), clean it, lube it and be happy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom