Lynn Hickey Dodge ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttrain

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anybody remember the "Cable Auction"? It came on some random local channel around 9, 10, maybe 11 PM and lasted for a few hours. It was done out of a warehouse along I-35 in South OKC. My brothers and I used to watch that show religiously. They closed every bid with "Gone. Sold. Closed. Outta here!" followed by a bicycle horn.

They'd allow people to call in and ask questions about one of the items up for bid and some times you'd get some gems. One time, one of the items was an adjustable wrench and somebody called in asking if it was metric or standard and it took the people a good 5
minutes to figure it out.

Wasn't that called call-a-bid? My mom used to buy so much junk from them. She even got 70 toilet seats for like $25 bucks. I was like, what in the world are you going to do with 70 crapper seats mom! She said it was a good deal and had to get them.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Now, speaking of shysters, remember Jim Ed Grant Ford in Yukon? He was the dealership that I was working for when he got "out-of-trust" with Ford and their financial folks. Every morning, the financial folks were walking the lot and looking at VIN numbers to see that any car that was sold was paid for to Ford. ("Out-of-trust" meant that the dealer was selling the cars but not paying Ford for those that were sold.) The salesmen were good salesmen doing an honest job, but Grant was the dishonest one.

I worked for Ford Motor Credit at the time. Just out of college and was a wholesale inventory auditor. I actually did the audit that found many cars SOT. Very unfortunate thing came out of all that. He got in some serious legal troubles. It was even more tragic for his wife.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't that called call-a-bid? My mom used to buy so much junk from them. She even got 70 toilet seats for like $25 bucks. I was like, what in the world are you going to do with 70 crapper seats mom! She said it was a good deal and had to get them.

They possibly started out as "Call-a-Bid" or ended as "Call-a-Bid", as I think I remember them having a different name at some point, but for the longest duration of their existence, they were called "Cable Auction". I remember quite a few grab items, like cardboard boxes full of phones, or a bunch of vacuum cleaners, but I never saw toilet seats. That's so awesome!

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I used to be a pipe smoker. I went there once looking at a truck. I was on the lot for 30 minutes and never had a salesman bother me. In fact I had to find one to help me. Then he went inside and when he came back he had brought his manager. They listened to what I was looking for and said they really didn't have anything to help me. I was smoking my pipe the whole time. My wife said it must have been the type of tobacco I was smoking. I smoked "english tobacco".My wife thought it smelled like burning garbage but I'll tell you is tasted real sweet. i finally bought a car, but i went to four dealers. I bought one from I guy I had gone to high school with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom