M1A bullet Q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDiddy405

New to the site!
Reaction score
Ive been tossing around how to get a better group with my M1A, Ive been using factory 150gr winchester. I am about to start loading 308 and Ive been doing some asking around. Ive come up with 168gr as the magic number. I guess thats what the military ran in there's and that tested better do to pressures being able to slam the bolt back increasing workability. Any info would help. I know I can get better groups with this thing.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the 168 grain Sierra Matchking in my M1A. There is not really any magic there other than that bullet is known for its accuracy. To should be able to get that round to shoot under MOA using Varget or IMR4064.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had very good results with 150 gr. bullets in mine. I do best with 168 gr. BTHP match bullets over IMR 4064.

I also think how you size can be a factor. A small base die might help. It may also help to make sure the shoulders on cases you're resizing is set back enough. I had an issue with mine in which a standard die and shell holder did't set the shoulder back far enough for reliable functioning.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been tossing around how to get a better group with my M1A, Ive been using factory 150gr winchester. I am about to start loading 308 and Ive been doing some asking around. Ive come up with 168gr as the magic number. I guess thats what the military ran in there's and that tested better do to pressures being able to slam the bolt back increasing workability. Any info would help. I know I can get better groups with this thing.

Try a box of Federal Gold Medal Match w/ either the 175 or 168 SMK. This would be a better benchmark on the accuracy fo the rifle, than the factory 150's. FGMM is pretty much the industry standard on known accurate 308 fodder for testing.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which m1a did you have. Ive got a socom and im in the same boat I had a national match long ago and it shot well with 168smk over 42gr varget. I have a socom 2 now and its the pits ive tried a few different loads with it so far and nothing good

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nothing short of a fully prepped M1A is going to give you incredible accuracy.

With the best matched handloads or very good quality factory ammo and a helluva good rest you can get 1.5" at 100 yards from an M1A. 2-3" with blasting ammo is normal and to be expected. They are great battle rifles, making one into a fine target rifle takes a lot of work.

The next 5 people will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong and their standard M1A will shoot half inch groups all day long.

Last edited:

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tech. Not trying to be abrasive but what are your grounds for the claims? Do you own one? Previosly owned? I have had terrible luck with my socom but my loaded model does very well

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've owned 3. The closest to a 1 minute gun was a decently prepped rifle with a Douglas barrel, unitized gas system, etc. My standard and my loaded would do just under 2" with 168 SMK's and Varget.

The guys that shoot competitivley spend a ton of time and money making sure their rifles are top notch, the world is not full of 3/4" M1A's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom