Malware/PUP/Spyware Program. Best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Macs aren't immune. But they are significantly better at handling this bull$hit than Windows-based machines. I'm not sure what you mean about Office...I use it daily with Mac, going back and forth with people using Windows Office.

Not the "Office" softwares, "the office" softwares.
That is, the softwares that are used to run my office.
All are IBM based.
Be nice if business softwares were Apple based, but they are few and far between.

Dave

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got office on my Macbook. But really all you need is a good linux based OS and you are in a happy place. But if you want to mangle the windows box a bit, be careful about overlaying AV vendors on top of each other. They often attack each other as being malware due to the types of calls they make and resources they access. This rendors them both useless. So be careful with that. Here is a link with some instructions that may help. Looks like just a browser hijacker but they are often associated with data stealers which might pilfer your personal information.

Honestly, if you've got that much crap running on the machine, it might be a good time to wipe and reinstall a fresh copy of whatever OS you are wanting to try.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the "Office" softwares, "the office" softwares.
That is, the softwares that are used to run my office.
All are IBM based.
Be nice if business softwares were Apple based, but they are few and far between.

Dave
Oh, I see. I have that issue also, so I run Windows OS parallel on Mac...best of both!

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a Mac. I have both and wouldn't go back to Windows. Never had a problem with Mac or any Apple product. Apple keeps a pretty tight rein on their software. Or if you are
really into it go for linux.

Razur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First I usually clean out temp files and junk files with ATFCleaner,Temp File Cleaner, and then CCleaner.
Then I run Malwarebytes, RogueKiller,and finally ADWCleaner.
If that doesn't fix it, then it may be time to reinstall Windows.

Good luck!

snipes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes those "other" programs find stuff that isn't there in order to convince you to buy their software.
MBAM doesn't an excellent job of catching most crap but I would run Spybot as a backup.
Whoever it was that said layered defense was right.
One will catch what the other doesn't.

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave,

Scan your system with both Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

As for AntiVirus Software BitDefender ranks tops among the free ones. There are others such as AVG, Avira, etc but they bug you to upgrade to the "paid" version. BitDefender does not and it consistently ranks in the upper 90% as far as virus detection goes.

Avoid Microsoft's Anti-Virus Even they recommend against using it. http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677.

Some misconceptions in this thread.

Mac's do have a version of Microsoft Office. Microsoft Office 2011. Its always an odd number as compared to the Windows version.

Macs are less prone to viruses for 2 reasons. 1st is based off the BSD kernel, which is a "unix" like OS similar to Linux. That's another whole thread as to why "nix" OS's are more secure. Second, the installed user base makes it a smaller target for virus writers.

Linux is secure for the same two reasons.

Also any Operating system can run "Microsoft Office" these days, its called "Office 365" or "Office Online" depending on if you want the paid or free version. Its web based so its OS independent.

Go to https://office.live.com/start/default.aspx sign up for a free account and shazam! you have a "free" version of Office that runs on any computer. There are limitations. An Internet connection being one of them.

Even the iPhone / iPad's have "Offical" Microsoft Office apps these days.

If you want to avoid malware tag-alongs on your freeware downloads check www.ninite.com. You can bundle multiple free programs for download and avoid the usual toolbars and such that most of the download sites inject. This is a good place to grab both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

Install both run them multiple times until they come back with clean reports. It may be necessary to run them in safe more to get some of the really stubborn malware removed. You can strart your computer in safe-mode by tapping the f8 key on start-up.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom