Many do not have a cell phone NO TEXTING!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to be against texting, then I realized that is is better than talking to most people.
Absolutely. If I call my cousin, It will be a 30 minute conversation about why he won't be ready to go hunting/fishing at the time I said I was going a week prior while he should be getting ready to go on time.
Text is much better and quicker. He has a rule installed by me. No voice mails. I don't need to hear the rambling in his voice mails. Call me and hang up if I don't answer when the phone goes to voice mail.
My phone alerts me to every event with a different type of sound or buzz and it stays in the chest pocket of my shirt. I won't miss a call or event, seeing his call and I'll call back when I'm ready.
Some of these folks would go crazy when the old home phone courtesy rule was never call before 10am and never after 9pm during the day with no answering machine.
One could go days without contacting the person one was trying to call.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'm not sure what the name is, but there's got to be easily labelled phenomena for something seemingly so outlandish that the person merely saying it seems crazy, not the person the "crazy" person is accusing of actually doing these outlandish things.

like i dunno, i could get away with doing something completely crazy because no one would believe it and if you told someone they would just think YOU were crazy. people exploit this over and over and it's extremely effective.
Yea, especially when it is something that is beyond the knowledge of most people. At my first psych facility we use to get a regular that was formally a nuclear physicist at UC Berkley. Spoke fluent German because one day he heard a voice that spoke German and taught himself self German to speak with the voice. He would spend most of his time talking about thermodynamics and writing out calculus proofs. Thing is he was correct. Most psych staff just thought it was gibberish and weird symbols he made up. He usually hung out outside a pool hall picking up cigarette butts and speaking German to himself.

He was just the right age and location for early MK ultra

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yea, especially when it is something that is beyond the knowledge of most people. At my first psych facility we use to get a regular that was formally a nuclear physicist at UC Berkley. Spoke fluent German because one day he heard a voice that spoke German and taught himself self German to speak with the voice. He would spend most of his time talking about thermodynamics and writing out calculus proofs. Thing is he was correct. Most psych staff just thought it was gibberish and weird symbols he made up. He usually hung out outside a pool hall picking up cigarette butts and speaking German to himself.

He was just the right age and location for early MK ultra

Oh god man dont get me going on MK Ultra.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. If I call my cousin, It will be a 30 minute conversation about why he won't be ready to go hunting/fishing at the time I said I was going a week prior while he should be getting ready to go on time.
Text is much better and quicker. He has a rule installed by me. No voice mails. I don't need to hear the rambling in his voice mails. Call me and hang up if I don't answer when the phone goes to voice mail.
My phone alerts me to every event with a different type of sound or buzz and it stays in the chest pocket of my shirt. I won't miss a call or event, seeing his call and I'll call back when I'm ready.
Some of these folks would go crazy when the old home phone courtesy rule was never call before 10am and never after 9pm during the day with no answering machine.
One could go days without contacting the person one was trying to call.
I don't have that problem. Someone gets to rambling on I hang up.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use to be against texting, then I realized that is is better than talking to most people.
As a side note to your comment, Wife and I were at an Irish Restaurant in Tulsa a year ago or so for dinner.
There was a table of 8, 20 somethings that were there the entire time we were.
Probably an hour with cocktails and dinner. In that entire time, not one person raised their heads from their phones or spoke to anyone at the table.
We finally figured out they were texting back and forth in a group text. Even while eating, they never looked at each other even while eating.
Zero social interaction other than a cell phone.
Wife and I have a rule. When eating out, driving, or with friends, we never use our phones, waiting to get home to answer or return texts/emails.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
As a side note to your comment, Wife and I were at an Irish Restaurant in Tulsa a year ago or so for dinner.
There was a table of 8, 20 somethings that were there the entire time we were.
Probably an hour with cocktails and dinner. In that entire time, not one person raised their heads from their phones or spoke to anyone at the table.
We finally figured out they were texting back and forth in a group text. Even while eating, they never looked at each other even while eating.
Zero social interaction other than a cell phone.
Wife and I have a rule. When eating out, driving, or with friends, we never use our phones, waiting to get home to answer or return texts/emails.

We don’t get on our phones at dinner either and we don’t give our kid our phone to play games or watch videos like a lot of parents do. If he acts up he gets taken outside like we did as children.

There has been exceptions on trips out of town for the kid, traveling can be hard on a kiddo. As for in Guymon though, yeah, no phones for us or the kid.

I was eating dinner in Angel Fire one time and the table next to us was a kid and his dad, kid was there for a mountain biking competition that was going on judging by his clothes, the kid was playing Minecraft on his phone while his dad sat across from him and they never spoke and you could tell the dad was wanting to interact with his son. Sad stuff.

My wife has a big problem with her phone. Drives my nuts and makes me want to break it.

Her: “Oh I’m just looking at something.”

Me: “the same damn thing you scrolled through on Facebook an hour ago?”

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don’t get on our phones at dinner either and we don’t give our kid our phone to play games or watch videos like a lot of parents do. If he acts up he gets taken outside like we did as children.

There has been exceptions on trips out of town for the kid, traveling can be hard on a kiddo. As for in Guymon though, yeah, no phones for us or the kid.

I was eating dinner in Angel Fire one time and the table next to us was a kid and his dad, kid was there for a mountain biking competition that was going on judging by his clothes, the kid was playing Minecraft on his phone while his dad sat across from him and they never spoke and you could tell the dad was wanting to interact with his son. Sad stuff.

My wife has a big problem with her phone. Drives my nuts and makes me want to break it.

Her: “Oh I’m just looking at something.”

Me: “the same damn thing you scrolled through on Facebook an hour ago?”
I'm not a fakebooker. Wife is addicted to it. Sad.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm not a fakebooker. Wife is addicted to it. Sad.

I do not have Facebook either and I’m 26. Probably one of the few in my age group or generation that doesn’t have it.

I got glued to it a few years ago and cold turkey deleted it. Deleted my Instagram too and Twitter. Now I just have Snapchat and I come here to OSA to often.

Latest posts

Top Bottom