Mec Gar Sig P226 mags - two different followers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been running my Frankenstein Sig P226 for a little over 1000rds now without a cleaning (lots of hard shooting, doing a lot of dropping mags in the sand/dirt, and just banging them off until they're clean and running them again) and I've had no issues at all other than the slide not locking back on a couple of my Mec Gar mags.

Now, I don't blame these mags at all considering the condition they're in (extremely dirty), but I noticed that two of the Mec Gars have a different follower on them than the one that doesn't ever fail (the part of the follower that engages the slide-stop is much higher on the non-failing mag).

Does anyone know where to get followers for Mec Gar mags? Mec-Gar's site sucks and it doesn't even show parts (that I can find). I thought about calling them, but thought to post here just in case anyone had a good source of mag-followers (or specifically, Mec-Gar or Sig-specific followers).

This thing is honestly filthy - I'm really happy with the performance of the gun so far. I hope to use it to compete in my first pistol match soon.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never really paid attention. I've got several of the mecgar's, and SIG mags, and never had any issues with failing to lock back. Then again I'm a lefty, so no issue's with riding to high on the frame, don't know if that may be an issue for you or not.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks man - Those two Mec-Gars appear to be using the "old style German 12rd" followers.

I don't know why I didn't look at TopGun - I'm on that site several times a week but didn't even think about the mag stuff.

I tore all 7 of them down and cleaned/oiled/wiped them down and holy crap (I should have taken pics). They were absolutely filthy. I used paper-towels on them because it took like 2 of them just to clean the muck out of each mag - they had the original brown grease in them and the dirt that had accumulated had mixed in there to a gritty sort of paste.

I got them cleaned and lubed with Tetra-lube and wiped them down so I'll see how well they do when we go out next.

I did notice that the two mags with different followers had completely different springs than the third Mec-Gar (absolutely no problems with all 4 of the factory Sig mags - they were the filthiest of all and still performed flawlessly).

I think I'll go about 500rds in between cleanings now for this gun, but I don't know that I'll go another 1080rds inbetween ever again (but its nice to know I could if I needed to).

I love these P226's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom