Michael Behenna Released On Parole

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
supposed to protect your brother,team, squad.... no foul here... welcome home!!!
You're also supposed to follow orders. Lt. Behenna had specifically been ordered not to take the prisoner out for interrogation. He violated that direct order.

The whole situation could have been avoided by simply following the orders of his duly-constituted command authority.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You're also supposed to follow orders. Lt. Behenna had specifically been ordered not to take the prisoner out for interrogation. He violated that direct order.

The whole situation could have been avoided by simply following the orders of his duly-constituted command authority.

And not cutting off his hand cuffs. And not cutting off his clothes while telling him you were going to shoot him. And not giving him the opportunity to try and grab your weapon. He took an unarmed, handcuffed man out into the desert. He then shot and killed the man who was naked and unarmed. There is simply no way it was not murder. He's the diametric opposite of a hero.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And not cutting off his hand cuffs. And not cutting off his clothes while telling him you were going to shoot him. And not giving him the opportunity to try and grab your weapon. He took an unarmed, handcuffed man out into the desert. He then shot and killed the man who was naked and unarmed. There is simply no way it was not murder. He's the diametric opposite of a hero.

Don't think I'd call him a hero. Depending on the extent of his combat service, I might call him a warrior.

Personally, I think war should be horrible. It should never be fought to a "police action" state like the United States seems to revel in. Either win, lose or withdraw. We do a terrible disservice to our troops when we expect otherwise of them. :(

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By all accounts Lt. Behenna took a decision understanding that it was contrary to his orders and against the laws of land warfare. It was the LT's responsibility to set the example for his troops to follow and he failed to do that. For that crime he has been punished.

Now, as to why he did what he did and whether or not it was justified will depend on what each person thinks is an acceptable sacrifice to protect their brothers. Since we can never know if the detainee's continued aggression after being released would have transpired, we dont know if the mans death saved American or coalition lives. However, it is foolish to think it would not have.

I suspect that if he were asked today if it was worth it, he would answer yes. As would I.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think we as a society owe Lt. Behenna and others medical care. I think there is a difference between murder and murder in a war zone by a soldier. When a soldier sees death and deals death, it affects them. We ordered them there. IMO we, as citizens, are partly responsible for Lt. Behenna " actions. He paid a price, it took a toll, now we need to try and make it right.

But I still don't think he's worthy of a hero's welcome home.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't think he's worth a hero's welcome. Stay home.

It appears that the man did what needed to be done. Think back to the beginning of the Lone Survivor movie, had those SEALS done what needed to be done, they would not have had a tale to tell.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you don't think he's worth a hero's welcome. Stay home.

It appears that the man did what needed to be done. Think back to the beginning of the Lone Survivor movie, had those SEALS done what needed to be done, they would not have had a tale to tell.

I would very much like to hear how shooting an unarmed, naked man man "needed to be done".

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would very much like to hear how shooting an unarmed, naked man man "needed to be done".

Have you watched Lone Survivor? What would they have gained by killing two unarmed boys and an old man?

I refuse to question what fighting men feel they must do in war.

I've not got a fcuk to give about a dead enemies.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Have you watched Lone Survivor? What would they have gained by killing two unarmed boys and an old man?

I refuse to question what fighting men feel they must do in war.

I've not got a fcuk to give about a dead enemies.

Interesting. So, you have no issue with this:

On a cold night during her week-long captivity in Iraq in the Persian Gulf war, Maj. Rhonda Cornum was loaded into a pickup truck with another American prisoner of war, a young male sergeant, and taken from an underground bunker to a small prison. During the 30-minute drive, an Iraqi guard kissed her repeatedly, pulled a blanket over their heads so that they would not be seen, unzipped her flight suit and fondled her breasts.

Major Cornum, a 37-year-old flight surgeon and biochemist from upstate New York, had broken both arms, smashed her knee and had a bullet in her right shoulder as a result of the downing of her Army helicopter. She screamed in pain when the Iraqi tried to pull her flight suit down over her untreated and swollen arms. Before the ordeal was over, she told a Presidential commission on women in the military this month, she was "violated manually -- vaginally and rectally."

Good thing the entire civilized, and most of the uncivilized, world does have a problem with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom