military members and concealed carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
howdy, i am a member of the Navy reserves and have been hearing that since im in the military that i dont need to attend the concealed carry class to get my permit. is this true and if it is how can i go about getting my permit? i plan on attending the class on the 23rd anyways but if i can get a jump start on the process it would be great, i have a feeling the 90 day wait will be the longest 90 days of my life
thanks,
Jason

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not true for your OK CCW. Fill out your forms, attend your class, apply and wait.

Possibly true that you are exempt from the firing qualification part of your class. A savings of perhaps five minutes and no dollars. Go read the SDA for details.

Possibly true for some non-res permits. FLA does not require a new class if you have proof of firearms competence. I used my DD214. They took that plus a signed statement I read their rule book.

Is true if competent military authority wants to issue you a military/federal permit - but that's not what you are asking.

jej

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibly true that you are exempt from the firing qualification part of your class. A savings of perhaps five minutes and no dollars. Go read the SDA for details.

Saved me money and considerably more than 5 minutes...cut a couple hours of the class and it cut some $$ off the cost of the class as well.

Bring proof of military handgun training at the time you sign up for the class, or if you've already signed up, talk to the folks sponsoring the class....Not a bad idea to go ahead and request the application packet from OSBI now, and bring it to class. Not sure where you are taking it, but H&H goes over the application itself and takes the required photos...when you walk out you are ready to turn the paperwork into your Sheriff. Good luck!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
im not sure but if you arn't in the cops then you need it all........

No you don't...the range portion is not a training class, it's a demonstration that the applicant understands basic firearm operation and safety.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember reading that there is a exemption for military, just read the SDA and it tells you what portions that prior or current service exempt.

NoDayWithout

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
howdy, i am a member of the Navy reserves and have been hearing that since im in the military that i dont need to attend the concealed carry class to get my permit. is this true and if it is how can i go about getting my permit? i plan on attending the class on the 23rd anyways but if i can get a jump start on the process it would be great, i have a feeling the 90 day wait will be the longest 90 days of my life
thanks,
Jason

Jason,
It depends on you military background if you were trained with firearms or not if so and you qualify the most you can be legally charged is $30, in other words if you are exempt from the firearms portion of the class you pay half the price, and only have to go for 4 hours.

If exempt from all of the class (CLEET certified) all i would have to do is sign off and you would be good to send it in to the OSBI.

Latest posts

Top Bottom