Military Service Poll

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your military experience?

• No, never tried.

Votes: 75 28.7%
  • No, but I tried and wasn't accepted.

Votes: 12 4.6%
  • Yes, I am still active

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Yes, I served my country.

Votes: 146 55.9%
  • Other (please explain below)

Votes: 12 4.6%

• Total voters

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You said please explain if "Other" was your answer so here goes.....

I requested an info pack from the marines when I was 18, and ended up being chased by a recruiter for about a year. We finally had the opportunity to sit down and talk, and he asked me why I was interested in the Corp. I probably spent 10 minutes telling him why I loved the Marines, the history, the image, and the idea of if you are going to be in a fight, go with the best, and how most of my Family had served in the military, but never as Marines. When I got done he looked a bit confused and said that the things I just told him where all the things he tries to tell people who are interested in joining, so "what's keeping you from signing". My answer was simple and straight forward. "I just know that it's not God's will for my life". A lot of people won't understand that, some will ridicule it, but that's it. We talked for nearly two hours, about everything from being a chaplain to the reserves and so on. I think he understood my desire to serve, but also that the list of priorities is God first, then Country, and then Family. In my case, my desire to TRY to become a Marine and serve, had to take second place to my Call.

I don't regret making that decision. I do though have a sense of guilt at times when I see the sacrifices of the fine men and women who have earned the freedoms I and my family enjoy. There were times when I almost rushed out and just signed up anyway, but now I see that I am exactly where God wants me.

You Marines out there (and every other man or woman who has earned their place in whatever branch of service), I love you guys. I wish I could say I was one of you, thanks for all you do!

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You said please explain if "Other" was your answer so here goes.....

I requested an info pack from the marines when I was 18, and ended up being chased by a recruiter for about a year. We finally had the opportunity to sit down and talk, and he asked me why I was interested in the Corp. I probably spent 10 minutes telling him why I loved the Marines, the history, the image, and the idea of if you are going to be in a fight, go with the best, and how most of my Family had served in the military, but never as Marines. When I got done he looked a bit confused and said that the things I just told him where all the things he tries to tell people who are interested in joining, so "what's keeping you from signing". My answer was simple and straight forward. "I just know that it's not God's will for my life". A lot of people won't understand that, some will ridicule it, but that's it. We talked for nearly two hours, about everything from being a chaplain to the reserves and so on. I think he understood my desire to serve, but also that the list of priorities is God first, then Country, and then Family. In my case, my desire to TRY to become a Marine and serve, had to take second place to my Call.

I don't regret making that decision. I do though have a sense of guilt at times when I see the sacrifices of the fine men and women who have earned the freedoms I and my family enjoy. There were times when I almost rushed out and just signed up anyway, but now I see that I am exactly where God wants me.

You Marines out there (and every other man or woman who has earned their place in whatever branch of service), I love you guys. I wish I could say I was one of you, thanks for all you do!

Mitch, you did what you had to do and thank you for being honest with yourself, that is what counts, and yes, God first. Thank you, sir.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was this close to joining the Marines... a recruiter who I felt was unscrupulous and overly pushy turned me off to it.

Kinda wish I had. No chance now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom