More Turnpikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Can't bring that one to mind, but the Creek Turnpike in Tulsa going east from 169 headed toward Warren Theater in Broken Arrow is insanely poorly-executed. Big long elevated section of roadway with a several-inch bounce on each support. I can ride it "ok" in my Tahoe with (relatively) soft suspension, but in my 370z which is low (and lowered) and sport suspension, I feel like I'm almost going airborne at every joint at highway speed. Holy SMOKES, that thing is ridiculous!

Right where it turns south for a bit, right? I know exactly where you're taking about. I think it's the same cause as on Kirkpatrick, I think it's for drainage that they make small swells, but it feel like a roller-coaster.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the Kirkpatrick Turnpike by where it passes Lake HoldHerCloser (Overholser) it's like an amusement park ride. If you're doing more that 60 it will bounce you out of your seat.
Those bridges are a joke! Incorrect deflection calculated (post tension camber) to make the post tension precast beams. An Engineering consultant screwed those up somehow but either the TPA accepted them at construction time rather than let anyone eat the cost of many new "correctly" made beams or no one caught it until it was built? No sure how that blunder made it to completion.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those bridges are a joke! Incorrect deflection calculated (post tension camber) to make the post tension precast beams. An Engineering consultant screwed those up somehow but either the TPA accepted them at construction time rather than let anyone eat the cost of many new "correctly" made beams or no one caught it until it was built? No sure how that blunder made it to completion.

No, the road os crowned to drain to the outside gutter. 2% slope. The swells are a blunder by an engineer somewhere.

Must have used the same engineering consultant that OKC used when they built the jail. Hasn't been right since day one.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the fact that the extension is going up to Luther, which is a dead ass town, is the state paying tribute to Oklahoma county. Specifically the powers that be in District One.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I "think" the jail failure was more about someone skimping on quality materials. Construction Inspectors maybe were paid off to turn their heads. Thats what I heard anyway.

I remember when it first opened, the "guest" quickly learned that if they stopped up their toilet it would flood the cell below. The entire jail was a cesspool. And the unbreakable glass blocks that took less than a week to be broken. I'm sure they will do a much better job with the $300 million they need to build a new jail to replace the 25 year old one.

It was poorly designed from day one. My father was involved in one of the many suits filed related to the design.

Built at a cost of $52 million in 1990, the jail was designed by RGDC, a once-prominent architecture and engineering firm. Six years after the jail opened, the three founders of RGDC were found guilty of professional misconduct by the state architect licensing board.

During the hearing prosecutors pointed to four RGDC projects as examples of the firm's flawed work: the jail, the federal transfer center at Will Rogers World Airport, a records building owned by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Lake Hefner Water Treatment Plant. Shortly after the licensing board's action, the firm closed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom