Movies to Help Pass the Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched Master and Commander: Far Side of the World the other night. It's based on the Aubrey and Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian; I've read the novel Master and Commander, though it's been long enough that I couldn't tell you how closely, or even if, the movie hews to it.

I recently saw an interview with Russell Crowe, and they discussed this movie. It was intended to be the beginning of a series of movies based on the novels; unfortunately, post-production took so long that it was beaten to market by Pirates of the Caribbean, which pretty well stole the wind from their sails, so to speak. It's a shame, that, as this movie is so much better than the Pirates movies.

If you like stories about naval battle in the time of sails, it's hard to do better than this one. I'd give it 8 out of 10 floating bordellos.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched Master and Commander: Far Side of the World the other night. It's based on the Aubrey and Maturin series of novels by Patrick O'Brian; I've read the novel Master and Commander, though it's been long enough that I couldn't tell you how closely, or even if, the movie hews to it.

I recently saw an interview with Russell Crowe, and they discussed this movie. It was intended to be the beginning of a series of movies based on the novels; unfortunately, post-production took so long that it was beaten to market by Pirates of the Caribbean, which pretty well stole the wind from their sails, so to speak. It's a shame, that, as this movie is so much better than the Pirates movies.

If you like stories about naval battle in the time of sails, it's hard to do better than this one. I'd give it 8 out of 10 floating bordellos.
It was essentially based on two of the novels, Master and Commander and The Far Side of the World. I agree, awesome movie and I wish they would have made more.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just caught the tail end of In Harm's Way, which reminded me of another of my favorite WWII Navy movies, The Caine Mutiny, so that's what I'm watching now.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just remembered that I had a TCM DVD collection of the Thin Man movies starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as sleuths Nick and Nora Charles. As a result, I just broke out one of my all-time favorites, the first in the series, 1934's The Thin Man, based on Dashiell Hammett's novel of the same name. It's a wonderful murder mystery with a load of snappy dialogue and masterful performances by Powell and Loy.

I give it nine out of ten shots to the tabloids.

Latest posts

Top Bottom