Multiple shooting Victims at Lake Hefner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
The revisions to Stand you Ground are taking place almost yearly over the past 3-4 years IIRC. Are you fully aware of the law on that?
I keep up the state laws because it find them interesting. I like to keep up on anything SDA related. I actually ask Dave an Dennis questions about it sometimes.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may have changed since I took my class, or I may have misunderstood. I thought that applied to your property- house/car, but not so much to public places? (I've been out of the country for 4 years so not super versed on the laws)

Castle Doctrine refers to your property. Stand your ground applies to any place that you have a right to be.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found the police press conference very interesting just now. He said the shooter was at least 50-75 feet from the restaurant when shot meaning he was fleeing, the two citizens ran to their cars for their weapons first, then returned. And “As for carry concealed licenses, in this situation it doesn’t really matter since the two gentlemen went back to their vehicles to retrieve their firearms.”

I'm not saying the citizens were wrong in the least from my perspective, but from what I remember from my CCW class, if you're able to escape and don't, you're in the wrong and open to legal repercussions. If you are no longer in active danger of life (the shooter is fleeing), you're open to legal repercussions, and if you are carrying weapon without a license, you're open to legal repercussions.

But, the police spokesman said multiple things about they protected lives, no clue where the shooter was going next, acted valiently, etc.... And, he wasn't sure if the DA would press charges but historically, sees no reason it would happen. Painted a hard line for the DA to consider pressing charges if they wanted to- even though from what I understand the citizens are technically very vulnerable legally speaking.

Made me like the police guy quite a bit.

I don't see them getting into any problems, mostly because we're in Oklahoma and hope they don't because from my perspective they did nothing wrong from the details I've heard- but if it happened in some other states I could see them getting into some legal issues.

If one was a RO, he wasn't "off-duty" so it doesn't matter. As far as the other guy goes, a person is justifiable in using defense to protect themselves and others if a reasonable person under those circumstances would have believed the threat was real, whether there was a threat or not. The man had a weapon, he could have been going back for more ammo, repositiong etc. My understanding is they also told the perp to drop the weapon multiple times with no compliance.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed on that perspective - today is likely the last we will hear of it outside of local media outlets.

What gets me is that the OKC police spokesperson(on scene) said the that the armed citizen(s) was/were "Good Samaritan(s)". If the OKC police spokesperson made that statement on air at the scene, why wouldn't all of the national MSM report that? Well DUH!, we all know the answer to that don't we!!!! IMHO, the local media did a pretty good job in reporting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom