My comments on The Cattleman's Restaurant are coming back to haunt me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How in the hell does anyone eat a 12 pound steak?

That's 12 and a half pounds.

As stated, our local grocery had T-bones for $5.99 #. Picked me up a 20 oz and Wif a 9 oz. Less than $12 for both. Baked potato and salad, about $15 spent. Same meal out about $60 and no better.

Those steaks look similar to the WHOLE sirloin, I have in the freezer. It will be prepared Prime Rib style for Thanksgiving, to feed 18 for that $60.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t do under done and Cattleman’s don’t do no red or pink.
The only place worse was Outback.
I like a medium rare. Which is a warm red center. Not hot center, just warm and red.
I have yet to find a restaurant serve the perfect medium rare steak as ordered. That includes Vast and Mahogany steak house.
Texas Roadhouse is the worst. Never had a steak delivered to the table that wasn’t medium well and have to send it back while everyone else is eating and done so I don’t ever order steak there.
I’ve taken to ordering steaks rare which gets a little more attention as those aren’t commonly ordered.
They come out almost medium rare which is acceptable.
When a restaurant puts the temperature of a medium rare steak on their menu like most do, and I’m paying $50 - to $80 for a steak, it better be perfect. I can buy a USDA prime ribeye for $20 To cook at home.
Yes, I’m familiar with how to cook for a couple hundred hungry folks three times a day and know the challenge of doing so.
Steak houses and restaurant managers are guilty of not training their wait-staff how to judge the proper temperature of a steak before delivering to the customer. It’s a simple process. Not only instant read thermometers but a simple press of a fork on the steak and how the surrounding meat reacts is not rocket science.
If I were serving a steak to a customer, picking it up to deliver from the kitchen and determined it was over/under cooked, it would returned to the kitchen for a re-fire to get it right because I’d be living on the tips from my customer.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t do under done and Cattleman’s don’t do no red or pink.
The only place worse was Outback.
I would bet that is a misprint and it is suppose to be a 20 oz steak.

Not of fan of Outback seasoning, too much salt.

200 oz maybe, maybe not. The "challenge" steak, eat it all and it is free, is 96 oz. Still ridiculous.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I like a medium rare. Which is a warm red center. Not hot center, just warm and red.
I have yet to find a restaurant serve the perfect medium rare steak as ordered. That includes Vast and Mahogany steak house.
Texas Roadhouse is the worst. Never had a steak delivered to the table that wasn’t medium well and have to send it back while everyone else is eating and done so I don’t ever order steak there.
I’ve taken to ordering steaks rare which gets a little more attention as those aren’t commonly ordered.
When a restaurant puts the temperature of a medium rare steak on their menu like most do, and I’m paying $50 - to $80 for a steak, it better be perfect. I can buy a USDA prime ribeye for $20 To cook at home.
Yes, I’m familiar with how to cook for a couple hundred hungry folks three times a day and know the challenge of doing so.
Steak houses and restaurant managers are guilty of not training their wait-staff how to judge the proper temperature of a steak before delivering to the customer. It’s a simple process. Not only instant read thermometers but a simple press of a fork on the steak and how the surrounding meat reacts is not rocket science.
If I were serving a steak to a customer, picking it up to deliver from the kitchen and determined it was over/under cooked, it would returned to the kitchen for a re-fire to get it right because I’d be living on the tips from my customer.
Me too. Firebirds at Chisholm Creek gets it pretty right most of the time.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically, I just cook my own, and I too am a medium rare ribeye guy, with a strong emphasis on warm bloody center. If I want to buy a steak out and about, I get it from The Lounge, and they typically do pretty well. If you find yourself in edmond, I suggest trying it out.

https://www.edmondeddies.com/the-lounge/
The best steak I ever had was a Full Porterhouse (surprises me too, I am a ribeye guy, almost religiously) at The Bull in the Alley in Tulsa. Get a reservation, its not easy to find. I literally walked down a dark alley trying back doors to businesses until one opened, and it was the front door of this restaurant. Kindof a speakeasy feel to the place. The steak was simple, no crazy seasoning, no toppings. They threw it in one of those crazy infrared searing things, doused it in beef fat, and brought it out to me, still too hot to eat. Cooked the most beautiful medium rare, crisp crust, bloody warm center. Perfect tenderness, perfect flavor. Absolutely to die for. I wanna go back soon. Their escargot is remarkable too, maybe the second best I have ever had, after Fait Maison in Edmond.

https://www.bullinthealley.com/

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typically, I just cook my own, and I too am a medium rare ribeye guy, with a strong emphasis on warm bloody center. If I want to buy a steak out and about, I get it from The Lounge, and they typically do pretty well. If you find yourself in edmond, I suggest trying it out.

https://www.edmondeddies.com/the-lounge/
The best steak I ever had was a Full Porterhouse (surprises me too, I am a ribeye guy, almost religiously) at The Bull in the Alley in Tulsa. Get a reservation, its not easy to find. I literally walked down a dark alley trying back doors to businesses until one opened, and it was the front door of this restaurant. Kindof a speakeasy feel to the place. The steak was simple, no crazy seasoning, no toppings. They threw it in one of those crazy infrared searing things, doused it in beef fat, and brought it out to me, still too hot to eat. Cooked the most beautiful medium rare, crisp crust, bloody warm center. Perfect tenderness, perfect flavor. Absolutely to die for. I wanna go back soon. Their escargot is remarkable too, maybe the second best I have ever had, after Fait Maison in Edmond.

https://www.bullinthealley.com/

You had me up to "escargot"

'ELL NAW, not happening

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You had me up to "escargot"

'ELL NAW, not happening
Lol have you ever had it? It’s amazing. My wife had the same attitude when we were dating, she’s not an adventurous food person. But after a bottle of wine, she was down to give it a try, and loved it. Think clams, poached in butter and herbs, but without the ocean, the guts, and extremely tender. Pull it out of the shell, stick it on a piece of French bread, and enjoy.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont get the steakhouse thing either and I will throw down cash for the high end restaurant experience. But a steak, I have a freezer of grass fed, or can go to the store and it is literally a 6 minute cook (3 min per side, rare as God intended). I go to restaurants to get things that I have neither the patience, equipment or ability to make at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom