My dad is dying...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course, we're ALL dying a little more each and every day, but my father has a cancer that has now entered into his bones and he's about to start a very aggressive form of chemo that has tremendous side affects.

I'm crying like a baby as I write this. He's 82 years old, been fit his entire life, served in the navy right out of high school - just after Korea and right before Vietnam (lucky, I know) and raised three strapping boys with yours truly being the baby of the bunch.

This is really gonna hit him hard because this time of the year is when he thrives. He's a gardener. And when I say 'gardener' most of you are thinking he has a little plot of dirt that he grows a few things in, right.

Uh...not even close. :disappoin

The "main" garden he had last year, where he grows taters, maters, onions, green beans, English peas, butter beans, okra, squash, peppers (all varieties) asparagus and cabbage was about three acres in size, his corn patch was about an acre or so and his watermelon/cantelope/pumpkin patch was about 1.5-2 acres in size. Yes, you read that right. He has three separate gardens.

Yup. Gardening is my old man's therapy.

And this damned cancer is gonna bench him this summer, which will probably kill him quicker than the cancer will. My oldest brother always helps him, but he can't do it alone.

So if you're a believer, would you just take a minute and say a quick little prayer for him. He's a great man, taught me how to shoot, taught me how to filet a fish and clean a buck, gave me my very first Smith & Wesson revolver and was the best man at my wedding.

Thank you.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear and will do. Went thru this with my dad about 15 years as well. We had lots of good times to look back on, lots of good visits before the end came.

Latest posts

Top Bottom