Need help with removing case lube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are having that much trouble with Hornady One Shot case lube (aerosol can) you are applying too much lube. A light spray is all it takes. When finished, lay all rounds flat on rag or towel, with another laid on top, rub back and forth a few times rolling the rounds back and forth across the rag. You can wipe down 30-40 at a time, and it doesn't take much time at all. If you using carbide dies for pistol calibers, lube isn't necessary if the brass is clean.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use virgin corncob media and it comes off in 15 minutes or so. I do use the aerosol version. But I've also used the sizing wax in the tin which I dissolve in 94% alcohol and it comes off too in just a few minutes. I only do this on pistol brass, for rifle brass I use Imperial. Hornady one shot will stick a bottle neck case big time unless they are just slathered with it.

It's true that you don't need a lube at all for pistol brass in carbide or titanium nitride coated dies, but a miniscule amount of one shot just makes the press run so much smoother. And one shot won't foul your powder like some of the others will. One shot does have it's uses.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one shot I am using is the pump spray not the spray can. What is the difference between the two??

And, this is used on unloaded brass. I will try some dish soap and hot water to see how that works.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, my bad...
Was messin' around with my press and loading 45lc most of the day yesterday and was in the "progressive" line of thinking. haha
Single stage never even crossed my mind...Now I get it. :hithead:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one shot I am using is the pump spray not the spray can. What is the difference between the two??

And, this is used on unloaded brass. I will try some dish soap and hot water to see how that works.

Well once upon a time it was pretty easy to tell what stuff was from a MSDS. Even if the main ingredient(s) were a trade secret. Used to be able to get a CAS number or something to cross reference and at least tell you what chemical family it was in. But Hornady's latest MSDS has exactly squat execpt for the propellents and solvents. My gut feeling is that it's wax based. If dawn dish soap doesn't work try some simple green. That stuff cleans an amazing array of things pretty dang well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom