Need recommendations for OBDII scanner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is an inexpensive model made by Innova Electronics Corp.

Bought it many years ago at Walmart for around $39, and it's always worked like a champ on our '98 Crown Vic.

My guess is there won't be much difference in performance. Any/all of them will probably either work ok, or not at all. All they do is report error codes stored in the vehicle's onboard computer, and allow you to clear them. :anyone:

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Mac, I bought a $30-40 model and it has worked just fine for a few years now. I imagine just about anything you buy for that price point will be very similar in terms of quality and function.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any more a phone is more of a computer than most any retail scanner that's listed for less than $700 and the number of pages of data with the Torque app make it a great scan tool.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do some google research on viewing codes on your dashboard. My Nissan Sentra and the Tacoma I used to have required doing a sequence of operations like pumping the gas pedal a couple of times, turning the key or some such. Its been a couple of years, and don't remember the sequence. It uses the idiot lights in the dash to show the code. My Nissan was running rough and showing a check engine code. I tried removing the battery cable to reset the code but it always came back. When doing the google dashboard thing, it offered an option to reset it. Did it and it worked. Been gone for a couple of years.
There are methods for GM and others like mine. Google "Checking engine codes without reader"
It will open multiple video's and tutorials. Best of all, its free!

Latest posts

Top Bottom