Need some suggestions from our divers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife/kids want to get me some dive stuff for fathers day since I just took up diving this year. I am torn between starting out my kit with the regulator first (Atomic B2) or a dive computer (Oceanic Geo 2.0). Which do you think I should get first?

My first thought was I didn't want to get down to a dive shop and find junk rental so I figured I would get my own regulator and octo. Then I thought I could probably have better bottom time if I could use my own dive computer as it calculates and logs changes in depths and other factors. Any feedback is appreciated.

grizzly97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been diving for years (not a whole lot in the last few though) and I have never used a dive computer. Get your reg and octo first, that way you can dive where ever and when ever you want and not have to rent them. You can still use the tables and a watch. I'm assuming you have a BC?

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Grizzly, I would pick up a reg first although I have to admit that diving with a computer is VERY nice. Sometimes you can pick up some used stuff from a local store and I have also seen some on craigslist for a decent price. If you are going to buy equipment, go visit Capt. Ron at Scuba Shack off May just north of 63rd. He is who I buy all my stuff from and is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I agree with Grizzly, I would pick up a reg first although I have to admit that diving with a computer is VERY nice. Sometimes you can pick up some used stuff from a local store and I have also seen some on craigslist for a decent price. If you are going to buy equipment, go visit Capt. Ron at Scuba Shack off May just north of 63rd. He is who I buy all my stuff from and is a great guy and extremely knowledgeable.

Agree with both above. Been a diver for a LONG time...both Marine Corps diver and PADI Divemaster. Tables and a watch may be old school, but the rationale above is correct IMO.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks folks. Picked up my reg and octo today. BC and dive computer next.

No picture? I love diving but have not gone in some time since I dont really have a dive buddy or the time. We should have group dive sometime this year. I think that I have 3 or 4 full sets of dive gear in storage. The tanks would have to be hydro'd but that's no bug deal

Latest posts

Top Bottom