Neglected Animals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd sure be interested in seeing a picture of the neglected animals you're talking about.

Here are three pictures showing ribs, sunken in flesh, and excessively bony hips. These pictures were taken on Monday, the 13th. I haven't the opportunity to take comparison photos since then, but watching them trying to graze this morning was heartbreaking. After the rain, the pasture is mostly mud.
COWS 002.JPG
COWS 009.JPG
COWS 012.JPG

Woody

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are three pictures showing ribs, sunken in flesh, and excessively bony hips. These pictures were taken on Monday, the 13th. I haven't the opportunity to take comparison photos since then, but watching them trying to graze this morning was heartbreaking. After the rain, the pasture is mostly mud.View attachment 122670 View attachment 122671 View attachment 122672
Woody

I know this is a serious thread and I don't want to make light of what is truly a bad situation... But I just have to say it.

That's not how you should be making lean beef....

I hope you find a way to get them the care and nutrition they need.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion: Those horses are very fleshy and those crossbred cattle look fine. Them type of cattle don't get soggy fat. I know folks feel fat is the prettiest color in animals. I highly doubt you'll find anyone to remove these animals in the condition they're in. If you think they are losing weight, just keep taking photos with dates. I can tell ya those animals are a ways from dying.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with@cowcatcher, crossbreed cattle are designed to be leaner. They could use a bale dropped and the grass is short and sparse but IMO they are not in danger yet. If I were there I would offer to drop a bale for the farmer if he were short, but that’s about it. Thank you for your concern, it truly makes me happy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with@cowcatcher, crossbreed cattle are designed to be leaner. They could use a bale dropped and the grass is short and sparse but IMO they are not in danger yet. If I were there I would offer to drop a bale for the farmer if he were short, but that’s about it. Thank you for your concern, it truly makes me happy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're trying to prevent the animals from starving. There is only 33 acres for the 33 animals. That's far short of their needs. We see the writing on the wall.

At the middle of January, there were 62 full round bales of hay on the property. At that time there were only about a dozen cattle there. Since then the number of cows has risen to 26, and 7 horses were added to the herd. By about three weeks ago, all the hay had been consumed, and the pictures I posted show the condition of the pasture as of August 13th. (With the recent rain, the pasture is now mostly mud.)

On July 24th, the animals were out of water and had likely been out for at least 2 days. They were all gathered up against the fence, bawling, next to where the wife was watering our trees. We tried to give them some water in a bucket but there was pandemonium as they pushed each other out of the way to get to the water. The bucket was obviously and exercise in futility.

We contacted our neighbor who is adjacent to the pasture. He has access to the property, contacted the owner, and was given permission to run the generator that powers the well pump. Our neighbor said the animals were consuming the water as fast as the pump would deliver, and it was some time before he was able to fill the first tub. There are 7 tubs about 5 or 6 feet in diameter and all were empty - which shows how long it had been since the owner last gave the animals water.

At any rate, 33 acres is no where near enough pasture for 26 cows and 7 horses. Best guess is they will need more than a hundred bales of hay to make it through the winter.

We filed an official complain with the sheriff's office today to get the situation on record.

We haven't seen the owner come by in over a week. He has hired someone with a lawn care company to come by and run the pump. The last time water was pumped was Friday, the 10th of August.

Did I mention there is no shelter either? Not even a shrub to provide shade in the summer - just the shadows of the fence posts.

Woody

EDIT: There are 9 tubs, not 7.

Last edited:

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE:

The cows and horses were moved off the land some time during the night. They are now on a 24 acre adjacent plot. The plot of land doesn't belong to the livestock owner. It does have fresh grazing but no shelter and no water. The gate between the two acreages that the animals could use to go get water from the tubs is closed. For some reason, logic does not prevail here.

Woody

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesus Christ I hate people. Except for you CC. You are a good man for trying to do the right thing. You do know no good deed goes unpunished, right?

What does Jesus Christ have to do with this?

This is 99.9% of not-for-profits and churches out there. Take away their entitled tax status and just watch how many of those folks would be left doing "God's work".

ouch .........(edit)
What does "God's work have to do with this?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree with Cowcatcher, the cattle show no signs of malnutrition. Some breeds appear bonier than others. Some cattle owners bring in hay from somewhere else as needed or in winter when grass isn't growing.
My thought is ask an experienced cattle/livestock owner for thoughts/opinions before reporting. If reported repeatedly for cattle condition like pictured, they may not take it serious later when it really is an issue.
I do appreciate you for caring about the health of animals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom