netflix and ps3 streaming issues -

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for the past couple of weeks, i have had issues streaming netflix from my ps3. very seldom do i get more than 5 minutes of movie, usually less, before it goes to a black screen and says "retrieving". it then takes 30-45 seconds or longer to give me my next couple minutes of movie. picture has also been choppy.

as you can imagine, this is very irritating. has anyone else had similar issues?

netflix streams fine on my laptop. i have reset my router and uninstalled/reinstalled netflix onto my ps3. i have also reset the internet settings on the playstation, and checked time and date settings. those settings are correct.

any comment/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you with Cox? Which package do you have?

Is your PS3 connected via wired or wireless?

Mine is a wired connection on the second (or middle) tiered package. I had no problems watching Survivorman all day Tuesday while laying on the couch sick, and the Missus had no issues watching a couple episodes of Grey's Anatomy earlier this evening.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you with Cox? Which package do you have?

Is your PS3 connected via wired or wireless?

Mine is a wired connection on the second (or middle) tiered package. I had no problems watching Survivorman all day Tuesday while laying on the couch sick, and the Missus had no issues watching a couple episodes of Grey's Anatomy earlier this evening.

AT&T, mid tier connection, $45.00/mo

wireless connection.

i'm thinking i may go get an ethernet cable tomorrow so that i can try a wired connection and see if it improves. i thought at first that it may have been my internet connection, but since it streams fine wirelessly to my laptop, i don't think that's an issue.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this:

Found the problem, there is a hefty slowdown on a major connection juncture which can be found if you run a tracertoute or pingpath to netflix streaming servers. This is more than likely temporary, but a quick fix for now would be to redo your DNS settings on your PS3 to avoid the problem and use openDNS servers.

1) To fix the problem go to network settings, enter all settings as normal however for your DNS use 208.67.222.222 as the primary and 208.67.220.220 as the secondary.

2) Go to the video section and open the Blu-Ray BDlive folder and delete the information for Netflix

3) launch the disc, it will give you a new activation code. Go to Netflix and re-enter the code to reactivate it in the Netflix PS3 link from your account Settings/Help Menu.
4) Wait 2 minutes and enjoy the movies

I would once again remove the Netflix program from your PS3 before doing step 2, then reinstall and launch Netflix in place of step 3.

Found here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/847927?start=0&tstart=0

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My PS3 has always had issues with connecting to routers. It always loses the signal. Hell, I don't think I've updated the software even once since I bought it used a few years ago.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well not updating the ps3 is gonna be 90% of your issue for that, Netflix has been rock solic for me on basic cox 3.5 down and 500k up for weeks.....until a few days ago it started acting up, called cox seems they are throttling my speeds in peak demand time like say 5pm till 10pm becuase I use too much.....umm that's what I pay for?!!!!!

Wait until the 8$ Netflix account takes a 120$ Internet connection to have unthrottled and uncapped data transfer rates, which will be soon, they already did it with cell phones, and all the did was put 1/5th of their yearly profits into "upgrades" to give everyone the crappy smartphone Internet to make even more $$$$ then claimed they had to curb the appetite for wireless devices... Hence no more unlimited AT&T......soon Verizon, cox, comcast everybody will charge for those connections.

Rant over.

jbrentn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found this:

I would once again remove the Netflix program from your PS3 before doing step 2, then reinstall and launch Netflix in place of step 3.

Found here: http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/847927?start=0&tstart=0

thanks. the issue seems to have resolved itself since the reinstall and restarts. i am using my second psn account at this point, altho i don't know why that would make any difference. i'm going to give it a day or so, and if the problem occurs again, i'll try redoing the DNS settings. thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom