Non-res permit question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7ucky7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an odd question. I was informed that some states CCW age requirements are 18 and some have exceptions for military members under 21. I'm in the military so I was hoping I could get a Non-res CCW from another state that OK honors. The states that have the 18y age requirement are: IN, ME, MT, NH, ND, SD, WY, AL, CA, DE, IA or MD. I'm not sure which ones have reciprocity with OK though. I was wondering if I could attain a permit from one of these states without actually going to that state.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Concealed Carry Licenses Honored by Oklahoma
Per Oklahoma Title 21 § 1290.26, the State of Oklahoma "recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state. The license must be issued by the state and must be carried fully concealed from detection and view..." (SDA Law Book, Nov. 2007).

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/Reciprocity/index.html

2. Most of the states you have listed are not going to sell you any kind of permit.
Here's a link to states that have provisions for non-resident permits.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf
Although MD is listed, it is almost impossible to get.
You might get somewhere with ND?

7ucky7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Documents like that are abnormally hard to find for me haha. It looks like your right about ND as well as ME. There's a possibility for IN or IA to issue one, but it didn't say anything about obtaining it through the mail. I'll have to call over to the licensing divisions in ND and ME. It would be nice to know if they had the military clause as that usually waives the CCW class with proof of training. Once again, thanks for your help.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be nice to know if they had the military clause as that usually waives the CCW class with proof of training.

Big tip: Take a CHL class from somebody so you get introduced to the laws and learn how to find them. Getting your information from forums and friends will get you into deep do-do.
Military experience usually just exempts you from the firing part of the class, which is quite easy to pass in most any state.

P.S. IA is not going to sell you a license. Their non-res is for businessmen, mostly.

7ucky7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like Maine is the way to go. They just require a birth certificate or passport copy, a 2x2 color photo, and $60 with the application. For AD Mil, you just need to send a copy of your ID and you are completely exempt from taking any courses.

shooter226

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Any out of state license is recognized by OK no mater how old you are. If it is valid in the state issued, then its good in OK.

I just heard this from OSBI today 5-24-10

If your 18 to 21 you may get a license from another state that has out of state licensing and carry in OK.

Mark

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I've been told by my ccw instructor is that it dose not matter if it's an out of state permit or not the state your in is what dictates what laws u r required to fallow and in Oklahoma u r required to be 21yo to Carrie or even legally perches a handgun so just dubble check to keep from becoming a convicted felon and never being able to get one but good luck hopefully u can that would be cool if u can

Latest posts

Top Bottom