Now That OC Has Been Legal For A While

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not against OC but it does make me nervous at times. I have seen several tiny little guys open carrying and paying very little attention to their surroundings, the last at the Academy in Edmond. My fear is that a real bad guy could very easily disarm this type of OC'er and create a very bad situation. It would have been a bad decision, as there were at least 6 CC'ers on the same ammo aisle with him, including 2 off duty LEO's, but none of us want to be involved in something like that. I do open carry, on the farm, at the range, places with fairly controlled environments, but in a busy store I would rather a bad guy have to guess where the good guys are coming from. My thought is still "the first sign a bad guy should have that I am carrying should be the muzzle flash." Just my opinion and be gentle because it is my first post.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I OC once in a while, not as much the last couple of months, though. Mostly at WalMart and about my small town, but also in Tulsa and OKC a few times. Was asked at Embassy Suites in OKC to cover it up, as it made some folks nervous standing int he breakfast line with my wife and son, lol. They first asked me if I worked for the government in some way and I told them no.

Have had some nice comments about my Para Ordnance 1911, in fact a few of the guys at Best Buy in Tulsa on I-44 were oohing and ahhing over it one day when I stopped in to buy a backup camera for my Tahoe. Never had any "bad" experiences per se.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not against OC but it does make me nervous at times. I have seen several tiny little guys open carrying and paying very little attention to their surroundings, the last at the Academy in Edmond. My fear is that a real bad guy could very easily disarm this type of OC'er and create a very bad situation. It would have been a bad decision, as there were at least 6 CC'ers on the same ammo aisle with him, including 2 off duty LEO's, but none of us want to be involved in something like that. I do open carry, on the farm, at the range, places with fairly controlled environments, but in a busy store I would rather a bad guy have to guess where the good guys are coming from. My thought is still "the first sign a bad guy should have that I am carrying should be the muzzle flash." Just my opinion and be gentle because it is my first post.

Bad guys don't have a big discussion with themselves on if they believe they could disarm someone who is open carry or not. It's more along the lines of, "oh, that guy has a gun, I don't want to take the chance of getting shot, I'll move to a softer target". With all the people who open carry every day all around the country, the chance of a bad guy taking a firearm away from a non-LEO open carrier is statistically 0.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I OC once in a while, not as much the last couple of months, though. Mostly at WalMart and about my small town, but also in Tulsa and OKC a few times. Was asked at Embassy Suites in OKC to cover it up, as it made some folks nervous standing int he breakfast line with my wife and son, lol. They first asked me if I worked for the government in some way and I told them no.

Have had some nice comments about my Para Ordnance 1911, in fact a few of the guys at Best Buy in Tulsa on I-44 were oohing and ahhing over it one day when I stopped in to buy a backup camera for my Tahoe. Never had any "bad" experiences per se.

Assuming you are a taxpayer, you should have said, yes, I work for the government.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Briang, if someone hasn't already welcomed you. I'm not in law enforcement, but I was active duty army from 1997-2004, serving in wonderful places like Bosnia, Albania and Iraq. To me, open carry is not a dare, a time to show off, or a fashion show. It's a pistol that I'm extremely comfortable with being at the ready. If it weren't easier to draw from the open, then why do LEO and military wear them open? Can bad guys get your gun? Yes, but it happens to cops too ( just last week here in OKC if I'm not mistaken). Are bands guys going to target me more than other guys? I'm 6 foot 3, 250lbs with a beard and what my wife's calls an intimidating look, so I'm VERY hard NOT to notice. With that said, I don't come across as a trouble maker or thug, either, just a guy who doesn't want himself or his family screwed with. I constantly tell my wife that I refuse to be, and I'll not be a target or easy pickings. There is a reason predators go for the weakest members of a pack.

Briang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points, door gunner. During CLEET though there is extensive training on firearm retention and defending your weapon from aggressors. I don't believe some of the folks I have seen OC have been through any of that. All said it is our right to do it even though it may not be my style. I will continue to conceal and be happy that if my shirt pulls up I am still within the law. In my opinion there are a lot of people with a CCW that have no business with a firearm. I have shot with them at the range...hell, I am related to some. We have all met or know someone that should not be carrying a firearm. It is not those that spend time studying this site, practice concealed draws or fire 1000's of rounds through their carry guns that worry me. Like it or not, there are scary people out there carrying weapons right now who have not shot many more rounds than the 50 it took to pass their CC. I do support the OC laws and appreciate them, it's just not my thang.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good reports. Just wondering what happened to all the ad-wringing pant-wetters who claimed the law was going to usher in all kinds of mayhem. Yawn.

My Dad used to say that throwing a fit is alot like pissing your pants: Everybody else can see it but you're the only one who feels it. The OC handwringing reminded me of that.

I saw a lady in the Owasso WM. She was wearing a tshirt that said "I like you but I love my gun. Don't make me choose" I believe she was packing an M&P.

Saw an older gent walking with his wife not far from our house. He was carrying his 1911.

Briang

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to you, the 2A should read "shall not be infringed based on your ability to handle a firearm?
Your pathetic.

Really? That's what you got from my post? I felt that I covered that I love and support our gun laws. The fact that I am made nervous by people who are not sure which is the mag release and which is the safety I don't feel make me pathetic. I never asked for them to turn in their guns or not to carry. Maybe my term "have no business with" was too strong. When I am on line at the range and a shooter racks a slide with the barrel of a .45 pointed at my chest, my redneck statement would be"that guy has no business with a gun". Maybe my new thought should be "that guy needs more training". I have read back through this post and I do not believe I have trampled any amendments, but I didn't feel my last one did either. I do not believe anyone on this site could honestly reply that they have never met someone with a CC who makes them a little nervous. Didn't say they couldn't carry. I realize that no matter what I put, someone will disagree, but pathetic, really? God bless the USA and the Second Amendment.

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During CLEET though there is extensive training on firearm retention and defending your weapon from aggressors. I don't believe some of the folks I have seen OC have been through any of that.

There's a difference between a criminal looking for a soft target vs. them looking at going to jail. The desperation of a criminal serving time is what causes this scenario IMO. The average OC Joe isn't likely going to be put in that situation. That's not to say that some retention training wouldn't be useful, just that it won't be as necessary like a LEO.

I do support the OC laws and appreciate them, it's just not my thang.

To each his own. Just as long as you carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom