Now That OC Has Been Legal For A While

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at Robbin RV in Idabel the other day, a customer at the parts counter said, "You know, I'm LE, and you are the first person I've seen OC since the law passed. Thank you for exercising your 2nd Amendment rights."

I think I've already posted about the clerk at WalMart telling me my hammer was back. I pointed to the grip safety and explained the thumb safety and he was cool with it, thought it was a good idea. He just didn't know anything about 1911's.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone OC since it became legal.

I haven't had the opportunity to spend any time in OK since the last weekend of muzzleloader season until this past weekend, and there appeared to be quite a few OCers at the gun show. Of course, there were no mags in guns inside the show.

While out in public, I didn't see anyone OCing, and mine stayed concealed as well.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen 3 people OCing. the first was an older man who came to meet me about buying something from me off of craigslist. Perfect example of when you need a permit.

The other 2 were, well, say we say assholes of the highest order. One was carrying a Kimber Pro Platinum (or something like that) and said he only open carries to piss off people who dont like guns. And he went around my friends shop, and he had never met us, without a thought about it. Yes, at any time I could have cracked him with the cresent wrench in my hand in the back of the head and took that pistol. I told him he should be more aware of his surroundings and who he turns his back to when carrying that nice of a pistol. Ive been around him a couple of times since, hes quite the douche.

the other was at my Doctors office. he was open carrying, and by carrying I mean he didnt have a holster, just carried it in his hand. when he sat down next to me, he tucked it under his leg, pointed at me. I told him to point it the other way so if it went off, it wouldnt him me or the other people in there. He seemed a little disgusted, but he did it.

Im not against open carry, but not quite all for it either. And, I realize not everyone is like the last 2 aholes, but as has been said before, there are idiots everywhere. I even talked to the first guy about it, and told him that I didnt mind at all he brought a gun.

I'd ask why didn't you call the police on the guy at your doctor's office for brandishing, but I'm calling BS on the stories so why bother...

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd ask why didn't you call the police on the guy at your doctor's office for brandishing, but I'm calling BS on the stories so why bother...

As long as he is the business owner, he can walk around with his gun in his hand inside his place of business all he wants. It's just monumentally stupid. But I'm with you...I have a hard time even believing it's true.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as he is the business owner, he can walk around with his gun in his hand inside his place of business all he wants. It's just monumentally stupid. But I'm with you...I have a hard time even believing it's true.

I believe he was talking about another patient...and the SDA requires an unconcealed handgun to be in a holster or case.

Very odd...can't believe the doctor's office staff didn't have a problem with it.

daytomann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen three people OC so far. Once in Bass Pro. A well dressed younger guy, western chic. :) and two well dressed older guys in Home Depot on the same visit. It was no big deal. I think its important to represent your appearance well if you are going to OC. It REALY helps perception.

Wife and I were CC in the Home Depot that day. So there were at least four armed good guys in the store that day. I wonder how many more might have been there?

I still have not OC. But I sure like being able to strap my 1911 on my hip and just throw a shirt over it. It prints pretty good but I think only VERY few people have noticed. I'm still on the fence about Full on OCing myself.

jonah7

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at Robbin RV in Idabel the other day, a customer at the parts counter said, "You know, I'm LE, and you are the first person I've seen OC since the law passed. Thank you for exercising your 2nd Amendment rights."

I think I've already posted about the clerk at WalMart telling me my hammer was back. I pointed to the grip safety and explained the thumb safety and he was cool with it, thought it was a good idea. He just didn't know anything about 1911's.

Usually if another guy tells me that my hammer is cocked, it results in fisticuffs. :)

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I OC'd in Walmart last night. Had to do a little bit of grocery shopping. I went through most of the grocery section. I don't think anybody even noticed. I will admit though, that it still feels really awkward carrying openly. I guess I am still shaking off 15 years of being self conscious of somebody seeing my gun. Anybody else feel that way?

@toehanus

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody else feel that way?

Hell yes. I OC'd into Baskin Robins and the guy behind the counter was really cool and commented that I was the first he'd seen. Even then, I'm still cautious when I plainly OC.

I'm with Daytomann, I generally carry OWB and throw my shirt over it... Unless it is cold out, because a cold slide + love handle is not all that enjoyable. If I'm outdoors, even in a parking lot, I seem to be less "worried" OCing, but I generally flip my shirt over my sidearm when I walk into a store.

I do have to say, I am far less nervous overall. I really disliked the fact that before last November, accidental exposure was a crime. Having the ability to exercise my rights as I see fit is a damn liberating experience, even if I don't exercise them to the fullest capacity. It's my choice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom