Number Of Uninsured Americans Soars To Over 50 Million

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighead

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let us consider official numbers. In 2007 the US Census Bureau indicated that 45.7 million people were uninsured in the United States.

9.7 million of those people are not American citizens. (45.7-9.7=36)

36 million Americans without health insurance.

Another study estimated 14 million uninsured were eligible but not enrolled for government insurance programs like Medicaid and SCHIP. (36-14=22)

Also, in 2007 almost 18 million of the uninsured had incomes over $50,000, with 9.1 million of those having incomes over $75,000. (22-18=4)

Also over 18 million of the uninsured are under 34 years of age, many of whom fall into the higher earners listed above. They have decided, however wise or unwise, that they are young and healthy, and do not want health care.

While my simple example shows 4 million uninsured with good reason, I'm honest enough to quote a Blue Cross study from 2003 that found 8.2 million Americans were without health care because they did not make enough to afford it, but made to much to qualify for government programs.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say that if you're looking for a mid-life career change, look into mortuary services. The only thing I'm sure of is that over the next 2-3 decades, working with dead people is going to be a booming growth industry! :D

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say that if you're looking for a mid-life career change, look into mortuary services. The only thing I'm sure of is that over the next 2-3 decades, working with dead people is going to be a booming growth industry! :D

That is actually very true. I got a buddy whos girlfriend works at a funeral home...business is boomin!

Danielkines77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work in healthcare and I can tell you that the majority of those who "can't" afford healthcare somehow see a way to afford 2 packs of cigarettes a day. You do the math. Go ahead and flame me but I see it first hand every day.

how is 2 packs of cigs a day equivalent to a 400/month premium WITH a 5000 dollar deductible??? it would take most people years just to save for the deductible!

Latest posts

Top Bottom