Oh freaking joy!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may want to rethink this.

There are many benefits to carpet in a home, one of them being the potential in energy savings when heating your home. Carpeting can insulate a home up to 10 times more than hardwood flooring.

R-value is a term used to describe the thermal resistance rating of carpet, or in plain and simple terms the insulating value. R-value is calculated not from the actual materials as much as from the thickness of the carpet. Most of the time the R-value is printed on the label of the product in the store. If the R-value for your carpet is not labeled or readily available it can be easily calculated by multiplying the carpet’s thickness in inches by 2.6. the higher the R-value, the more insulating power it provides to the home.

https://allkleencarpets.com/r-value-carpet/

I grew up on oak flooring and hated it. My wife is fighting me to put hardwood flooring down.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may want to rethink this.

There are many benefits to carpet in a home, one of them being the potential in energy savings when heating your home. Carpeting can insulate a home up to 10 times more than hardwood flooring.

R-value is a term used to describe the thermal resistance rating of carpet, or in plain and simple terms the insulating value. R-value is calculated not from the actual materials as much as from the thickness of the carpet. Most of the time the R-value is printed on the label of the product in the store. If the R-value for your carpet is not labeled or readily available it can be easily calculated by multiplying the carpet’s thickness in inches by 2.6. the higher the R-value, the more insulating power it provides to the home.

https://allkleencarpets.com/r-value-carpet/

I grew up on oak flooring and hated it. My wife is fighting me to put hardwood flooring down.
I know what R value is.
I built homes for a few years years before going into commercial construction. I'm well aware of insulating factors. Carpet adds no insulating value to a home because the slab is the same as an interior wall surface. It produces no heat nor cold, nor does the ground its setting on. It feels cold to the bare feet because the ground temp. is cool under it. As far as making any noticeable difference to the heating or cooling bill...aint gonna happen. a MUCH better way to upgrade the overall R value to a house is replace those cheap builder grade window. but not the carpet. There will never be a ROI there.
Put carpet on a wall, now we are talking a difference but still minimal.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know what R value is.
I built homes for a few years years before going into commercial construction. I'm well aware of insulating factors. Carpet adds no insulating value to a home because the slab is the same as an interior wall surface. It produces no heat nor cold, nor does the ground its setting on. It feels cold to the bare feet because the ground temp. is cool under it. As far as making any noticeable difference to the heating or cooling bill...aint gonna happen. a MUCH better way to upgrade the overall R value to a house is replace those cheap builder grade window. but not the carpet. There will never be a ROI there.
Put carpet on a wall, now we are talking a difference but still minimal.
That's not what the link says. Your saying the slab temperature never changes because of colder or warmer ground temperatures underneath? Granted the area inside the home being kept at a constant temperature may temper the temperature changes of the soil underneath but there is a difference in having carpet on a floor or not because the soil temps will change under the slab. I'll just offer some electronic temperature pics of my slab home, on carpet and off carpet on ceramic tile.
It's not a whole lot, but there is certainly a difference in floor temps with carpet vs without.

0a947b3adca853d37c048bf0a13d786d.jpg
ae40660983f1442740e07d98289d5199.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom