Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe you would like to introduce us to each other?

Maybe we just need a poker game.

We have met. I see I made quite an impression. Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I hug neither trees or gas pumps. Also, I am not convinced that the earthquakes are caused by oil and gas wells of any sort. However, the preponderance of data certainly seems to suggest so in the absence of other explanations. So, I guess you could consider me undecided, but willing to learn.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you look at Hobbes map and the USGS map and try to perceive them to be overlain, then you are forced to accept that there is a visual similarity between the location of the wells and the location of the tremors. Not very scientific, but interesting, nonetheless.

Actually the only real suspect on that map is one near Alva. Three clustered right close to a disposal well. The others look to have sufficient distance from an earthquake epicenter.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have met. I see I made quite an impression. Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I hug neither trees or gas pumps. Also, I am not convinced that the earthquakes are caused by oil and gas wells of any sort. However, the preponderance of data certainly seems to suggest so in the absence of other explanations. So, I guess you could consider me undecided, but willing to learn.

Well said. Believe it or not, but I am much calmer now. I realize now my communications probably seem pompous. I am just passionate about science, and I love to teach.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we have hundreds of wastewater injection wells across the state, why focus on a dozen?

Why wouldn't the other wells be causing the same problems?

Texas has hundreds as well. Not seeing an earthquake storm in that state.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we have hundreds of wastewater injection wells across the state, why focus on a dozen?

Why wouldn't the other wells be causing the same problems?

Texas has hundreds as well. Not seeing an earthquake storm in that state.

That is an interesting point. No place on earth is the same, so i wouldn't expect the same response in other places. I have heard of other areas around the world that have noticed an increase in quakes too. Im thinking about the north east and even in europe. Need to look this up...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said. Believe it or not, but I am much calmer now. I realize now my communications probably seem pompous. I am just passionate about science, and I love to teach.

Its all good dude. I guess my main issue is I dont trust either side of this argument; environmentalists or oil producers, because both have shown themselves to lie in favor of their interests.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a simple (relatively) solution would be to find a known inactive fault, like the Meers fault, and drill a bunch of disposal wells on it. Build them to the exact specs of working disposal wells and start pumping. If that ***** wakes up, you might make a believer out of me...or not...because I don't have to believe for either position to be true. It is what it is.

That would be much smarter and more economical than shutting down all working disposal wells in the state to see if the quakes stop...

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And automobiles do not release C02 into the atmosphere, and Co2 in no way can behave as a greenhouse gas.
That's just ignoring Science Fact.

The more carbon dioxide we exhale or produce, the more the process of photosynthesis converts it back into oxygen and carbon. Ever wonder why the oxygen levels never seem to decline with the more and more hydrocarbon fuels we consume? As long as we have green things, sunshine and water, photosynthesis will strike a balance. That is all the science in a nutshell, not just the half in an agenda.

Woody

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more carbon dioxide we exhale or produce, the more the process of photosynthesis converts it back into oxygen and carbon. Ever wonder why the oxygen levels never seem to decline with the more and more hydrocarbon fuels we consume? As long as we have green things, sunshine and water, photosynthesis will strike a balance. That is all the science in a nutshell, not just the half in an agenda.

Woody

Our world has to have CO2 to survive. I don't know why the big uproar about a beneficial gas.

I had to use an O2 monitor on a regular basis in confined spaces. The calibration is to take it outside and see if it matched the O2 content that has been the same for how long? LOL. Never bought into that Co2 thing.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Woody

Im glad you brought this up. This happens to be my field. bear with me on this one
Q1. where does the Carbon dioxide we breath out come from?
A1: it came from the atmosphere, was fixed (taken up) by a plant and converted into a sugar using the energy of light and hydrogens found in water.
So, that carbons cycles back and forth and there is no NET increase in C.
Q2:Where does the carbon dioxide cars release come from?
A2: Fossil fuels that have been locked away underground. So by releasing it, there is a NET increase in CO2. see?

Yes, one would think that more co2 means more plant productivity (biomass), right? Not the case. Plants are most often not limited by Co2, instead they are limited by Nitrogen or Phosphorous or some other nutrient. So, more co2 in the air will only increase plant productivity to a degree, until plants are limited by another nutrient. Either way. we are increasing the NET Co2 concentration by taking the C that was locked away ouderground and burning it, thereby releasing it into the atmosphere.

I hope i was clear enough

Latest posts

Top Bottom