Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The solar system is a rough neighborhood, and planets that have a lot of gravitational pull on them often have an active core. The surface will fracture along faults and there will be bumping and grinding. It will happen whether we drill or not. Like global warming, these events have occurred without our intervention. The fact that we are contributing to these events at the same time they are happening does not mean we caused them. They happen anyway.

That's great logic that requires you NOT to look at any data and draw any conclusions about our impact on the world. Let's just burn the place down, there is nothing we can do to impact the world anyway....

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did i say CONFIRMED? Oh your not speaking literally. I see what you did there. Surfs up Bro

That's the title of the whole thread.

Seismologists don't even agree...so a couple of knuckleheads on an internet forum aren't going to solve it.

Quake swarm in Dallas this year, but the closest disposal well is 10 miles away. USGS wants to say it "could" be related to those wells while others say it isn't. Agendas and motives on both sides I'm sure.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Seismologists-Disagree-Over-Texas-Earthquake-Swarm-288451901.html

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is amusing to watch a thread between people who don't know each other but are absolutely convinced the "other guy" is stupid for having a reasonable disagreement with a stated view. If some people had any clue as to who they were talking to, and their intelligence/reasoning ability I suspect the conversation would be considerably more civil, and productive albeit far less entertaining.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the title of the whole thread.

Seismologists don't even agree...so a couple of knuckleheads on an internet forum aren't going to solve it.

Quake swarm in Dallas this year, but the closest disposal well is 10 miles away. USGS wants to say it "could" be related to those wells while others say it isn't. Agendas and motives on both sides I'm sure.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Seismologists-Disagree-Over-Texas-Earthquake-Swarm-288451901.html

This is not about solving anything. This is about exposing the misconception that there is always some ultimate proof out there that can be acquired if we just spent less time hugging trees. This is never the case when working which such large scales. Again, you throw the word proof around as if its something that can be gotten after a year or two.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already stated as much. I would like to read a truly independent scientific/geological study that proves, through observation of the phenomenon in question, that disposal wells are the direct and sole cause of increased earthquakes in a given region. Everything I've read before has simply been studies that correlate the two occurrences.

If one can't grasp the concept that correlation does not imply causation then there's no point having a discussion about it.

I grasp it and understand the scientific method very well. You say correlation does not equal causation but don't account for the methodology of testing residues. Where I'm confused is you are quoting the science as unconvincing but I haven't seen you detail what from the scientific method is still incomplete or are you saying the facts are not correct?

In other words, we've already lubricated the system and it will continue to move for many years. 10 years from now, they'll say how stupid the idea was to stop injecting because it didn't change a thing.

This is something I do think about as it's likely that earthquakes will continue as we have changed variables in a complex system that could reverberate for a long time. It's just like dropping something in a tub of water. The waves will slosh for a time. The catch 22 is do we continue dropping stuff in the water and making waves or do we stop and wait for the waves to subside.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's great logic that requires you NOT to look at any data and draw any conclusions about our impact on the world. Let's just burn the place down, there is nothing we can do to impact the world anyway....

Pretty soon we will be able to circumnavigate the North Pole during summer. This is not the first time that the North Pole has lost its ice cap. It has happened before when we weren't around to contribute to global warming. Things change on a planet.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you look at Hobbes map and the USGS map and try to perceive them to be overlain, then you are forced to accept that there is a visual similarity between the location of the wells and the location of the tremors. Not very scientific, but interesting, nonetheless.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy crap, this thread got away. I'm two pages behind.. While not completely civil (democracy isn't always), I am glad to see the conversation happening. This is exactly what issues like this need and if we did this more, we would probably have fewer problems in society.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is amusing to watch a thread between people who don't know each other but are absolutely convinced the "other guy" is stupid for having a reasonable disagreement with a stated view. If some people had any clue as to who they were talking to, and their intelligence/reasoning ability I suspect the conversation would be considerably more civil, and productive albeit far less entertaining.

Maybe you would like to introduce us to each other?

Maybe we just need a poker game.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you look at Hobbes map and the USGS map and try to perceive them to be overlain, then you are forced to accept that there is a visual similarity between the location of the wells and the location of the tremors. Not very scientific, but interesting, nonetheless.

Yes. This is interesting and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom